I agree and disagree..

Cookies are great.. I like them a lot..

But yes they can be insecure..

Outside apps that you run on your computer -can- look at cookies and possibly find information..

Also.. A while back I wrote a .js file that could be included in a post on this forum.. It would pull your user name and password, then create an image tag pointing to a cgi script on my server (with a query string that contained the user name and password) From there it could store everybody's user name and password into a database (I just wanted to see if it worked.. it did.. so I reported it as a bug and deleted the scripts)

Althought cookies aren't a -bad- thing.. some people are silly and think they are.... For those people it would be nice to have sessions.. Your right that sessions work in just one instance of your browser, but that isn't a bad thing.. you have to login every time you close the browser, but atleast you can post messages on the forum if anon users is turned off.. with out cookies you can't I don't think (or if you can, you have to login every time!!)...Also people could see you in the who's online list etc.. with out sessions or cookies you are basically an anonymous user.. which means you might not have as many options as a use who is logged in........

Oh and like a33 says above.. Cookies are used a lot for tracking users.. I know this for a fact because the company I -use- to work for (coremetrics.com) tracks users with a cookie.

------------------------------------------------
Jeremy 'PeelBoy' Amberg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PeelBoy on 10/19/00 12:12 PM.</EM></FONT>