Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Hi there, I'm considering buying a UBB license, tho I'm wondering how soon version 8 will be out the door for two reasons:

1. a license includes free upgrades for a year. I'd hope to have version 8 within that timeframe, and not just the initial release, but I assume that patches and tweaks will be occurring quite a bit for the near future after its release, and I'd hope to have a solid and somewhat settled version of the forum before that year of upgrades ran out.

2. I assume, though I may be wrong, that upgrading to version 8 would require, or best be done with a clean install, and I wouldn't want to put lots of effort into setting up version 7 only to have to wipe it all for version 8.

Non-version 8 queries:

Is it pretty easy to create your own themes and colour schemes for the forum? Is it html done, or is there an interface that lets you pick colours for different bars and things?

Does UBB have many important functions that aren't available as mods for SMF? Maybe that's a silly sounding question, but I'm entirely new to considering running forum software and I'd like to ask it anyway.

Are there any solid reasons why you (whoever's reading this) prefer UBB to vBulletin?

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond to these questions.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'll do my best to answer your questions and others might come behind me, or even before I finish posting this, to chime in as well.

1. Timeframe on v8. It's hard to say right now, but by the time new members area access would be expiring we'll definitely have a few updates put out. With a couple new developers, things are moving along quite nicely. It's a complete overhaul with an entire new look, so I'll be able to give out more info on some sort of timeframe hopefully fairly soon.

2. There will be an upgrade script to easily update your version 7.x forum to version 8. So no need to start with a clean install.

Creating your own themes and color schemes is fairly simple as long as you have a little knowledge of CSS. There is an editor in the control panel that allows you to change things and view your changes as they are done.

I can't really say on SMF, as I've never run one, but we're definitely seeing quite a few SMF converts in the past couple months.

I won't go into vBulettin. It appears to be some things going on over there, but I don't have a firm knowledge to really comment on it. Since I'm the lead developer on UBB.threads any opinion I could share on that would be entirely subjective as well wink So I'll let someone else comment on that part.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think we have several threads around here on why we prefer the UBB to alternatives...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
One of which being that a lot of things that come standard with UBB.threads would normally cost extra with vbulletin. That and even with all the "extras" UBB.threads is still MUCH cheaper.. and the user/staff support of UBB.threads is second to none in any industry and definately the best in the computing/software industry.

Just an outside perspective on your questions.

Dunny

H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
I'll do my best to answer your questions and others might come behind me, or even before I finish posting this, to chime in as well.

1. Timeframe on v8. It's hard to say right now, but by the time new members area access would be expiring we'll definitely have a few updates put out. With a couple new developers, things are moving along quite nicely. It's a complete overhaul with an entire new look, so I'll be able to give out more info on some sort of timeframe hopefully fairly soon.

2. There will be an upgrade script to easily update your version 7.x forum to version 8. So need to start with a clean install.

Creating your own themes and color schemes is fairly simple as long as you have a little knowledge of CSS. There is an editor in the control panel that allows you to change things and view your changes as they are done.

I can't really say on SMF, as I've never run one, but we're definitely seeing quite a few SMF converts in the past couple months.

I won't go into vBulettin. It appears to be some things going on over there, but I don't have a firm knowledge to really comment on it. Since I'm the lead developer on UBB.threads any opinion I could share on that would be entirely subjective as well wink So I'll let someone else comment on that part.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I think we have several threads around here on why we prefer the UBB to alternatives...

Using the search didn't turn up anything of much significance in the matter. If you know of a couple threads off-hands, I'd love to read them.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by Beegor Bucleor
Originally Posted by Gizmo

Using the search didn't turn up anything of much significance in the matter. If you know of a couple threads off-hands, I'd love to read them.

this is a good example of why we should have tagging smile

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by Rick
2. There will be an upgrade script to easily update your version 7.x forum to version 8. So need to start with a clean install.

Rick, you meant to type that there is NO need to start with a clean install, right?

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yes, i'm quite sure he means that (what YOU said, that is) wink

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
No, all content will be lost when upgrading to version 8. Even those of you with millions of posts. Too bad, you get to start over wink

It is not April 1 yet Rick.
Don't put the scare in everyone again.
LOL

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ah, you're right. smile Ok, the upgrade script will keep 1 post for every user that you have, so you won't have to start completely over laugh

You are a glutton for punishment.
Hope the posting gods go easy on you!

Blue Man Group
addict
addict
remember last April Fools day with the new direction for UBBthreads post.... I wonder if that was just him being a prophet after all? tongue

Yeah Rick nice job creating pandamonium in all of our online lives tongue

Dunny

H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Well, I purchased a UBB license, and one of the deciding factors (amongst many others) was that I strongly dislike the general look/feel of vBulletin, and find the UBB style, when done right, looks pretty slick (although in other examples it does look tacky [but so can vBulletin, so w/e]).
One example is ubbccentral's style. It looks and feels fantastic, imo. Another example, and the forum that has impressed me most in its tailored design and awesome functionality, is the one for the Shroomery.

Since I have already purchased my license, this is a post-sale question:

When v.8 rolls out, will there be an option to keep using what might then be called a "classic" ubb look, such as the one ubbcentral currently uses? I know about, and look forward to the new designs that the ubb team come up with, but some people don't like the overly rounded look that a lot of "modern" forums have. The soft, yet defined corners of ubbcentral are very appetizing, imo tongue

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Thanks for the purchase and welcome to the club wink

As for your post-sale question. The new skinning system will be flexible enough that I'm certain we can put out a skin that will look very similar to what we have now.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Beegor Bucleor
Another example, and the forum that has impressed me most in its tailored design and awesome functionality, is the one for the Shroomery.

i just had a college flashback eek

Remembering those cow pastures we used to visit at night.

Memories!

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Cow Tippin, All Right.

Actually I was talking about shroom picking.
But cow tipping was fun too. Especially when you had a newbie with you that never did it. You could get a lot of mileage out of the new guy for fun.

Blue Man Group
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
snipe hunting ? laugh

Snipe hunting is what we did to tenderfoots in the boy scouts.
WOW! Another memory lane item.
You may not have had those mushrooms in your part of town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushrooms

Is what I am talking about.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Napalm), 806 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29