Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The login detection I believe was in the original snapshot of 7.6.0 which was released to testers; it was done in the modification thread and even rewritten completely in one of the more recent builds.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Yes I have access to ubbdev but I could not find this feature was ever to be implemented in stock code.
Your link appears to say so , I guess but it is not called the login detector..
But giz called it the login detector.
Nothing I found prior stated if it was ever to be implemented in stock code.
Talked about,YES.

Well I dug some more and finally found mention of it posted 02/21/2015 for version 7.6 at ubbdev but that was about it. And it just stated
STOP FORUM SPAM -It is now checked at every login
. not login detector which is what I was searching for in the progress and change log reports.
Since that is what it was called since creation.

So I assume it will be stock code for sure starting with ver 7.6.0??

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Login detection was the name of the mod, but when i rewrote SFS for 760 I added the login detection.

Regarding your request:
Originally Posted by Ruben
I don't know why I did not think of this before but since we are going forward with SFS
Why not add it to the advanced search in member management.
Say for the bad email and or bad ip.

Are you referring to the section of the SFS mod that ran on every member search in the control panel (admin/membermanage.php section)? This could add some time to the loading of the page since so many users are displayed per page of results, I'd want to do some testing before adding.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Are you referring to the section of the SFS mod that ran on every member search in the control panel (admin/membermanage.php section)? This could add some time to the loading of the page since so many users are displayed per page of results, I'd want to do some testing before adding.

That is what I was asking about due to I was not sure when the login detector was or is implemented.
So a admin could check if any existing registered users have been marked as spammers even if they have not visited again.
But if it is going to be in 7.6.0 for sure then I guess my question has become a moot point.
any version prior to 7.6 will need the login detector mod added in.
Then it will catch them on the back side when they visit again.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The login detector has been a mod since SD stripped it out of the v0.5 release which was written for inclusion to threads 7.5.8; it will be stock in 7.6.0, the mod is available: [7.5.7+] Stop Forum Spam - Login Detection

A search option to see if users are in the db however does not exist, it's on the idea board at dev now for discussion at a later date. The only way currently to check if users exist is to edit their profile.

understood
that I why I asked about adding it to the member management area since it has not appeared as of yet for the login detector in the current release.
But if it is for sure in version 7.6 then I guess it would be a redundant feature to also search in the member management section.
Since sooner or later if a spammer re-visits the site they would be caught.

Blue Man Group
Addict
Addict
I've had some "false positives" on IP addresses, I suppose due to roaming IPs, so we may have to be careful with this one. I have approved several registrations that were red flagged for IP only, and they turn out to be legitimate users. I'm not saying that it is always the case, but I haven't had a spamming incident yet this year. I approve 200-300 new members per month.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
They offer a rather simple way of getting unlisted as well; which is NOT the URL to the guy's private contact page that SD placed in, instead the proper link to the removal page is supplied (here) in 7.6.0.

On a service like this, where they offer a proper removal method (being the removal page), it's just good practice to not forward all users to their contact page instead.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29