Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I just upgraded from 7.5.8 to 7.6.0 and everything seems to be running fine. But I did have a couple of glitches during the upgrade because either I interpreted the instructions incorrectly or they weren't clear (at least to me. grin

Under "Preparing the File" step 5. The doc says "Upload all files and directories ... except for ...". But then there is a subsection that says "Upload these;" and goes on to list specific items to upload and not upload. So as I was sequentially reading the instructions and read the instruction to upload all files and directories, I did just that. I uploaded everything - except the 3 items listed to not upload. Of course this didn't work. Luckily I had a backup of the old UBB installation directory and I restored it to my server and then just uploaded the individual directories and files listed. Perhaps it could be a little clearer and not say to upload ALL files and directories from the unzipped directory except for the ones noted.

I then checked all the permissions as noted in the install guide and made any changes as needed.

I then ran the upgrade.php script. Everything ran ok until it came to the language file section. I got error messages saying that the permission wouldn't allow the files to be updated. I looked at the Installation Guide and didn't see any permissions listed for the languages directory. So I changed the permissions for languages (Linux system) to 777. The upgrade then proceeded to end with no more errors. Should the language directory permissions be 777? I don't remember what it was before I changed it.

Other than above, the upgrade went well and my board looks good on mobile devices. Thank you for providing that update.

But like I said earlier, I may have missed something when reading the upgrade docs. But I thought I'd share my experience in case someone else has the same problems.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Thanks for the update, DennyP.

Around mid-june '17, I updated the install & upgrade documentation in Central's menus from the "UBB.threads 7.6.0 released" topic. There were a lot of items which needed to be updated since it looked to me that the last time they were updated was around 2006. The information pages you went through are correct to the best of my knowledge. But...

lol, whoops - and there is the problem! The whole "/language" section that you just mentioned is missing. You didnt miss anything. I did laugh

Give me a few minutes to update ubbcentral's page regarding permission settings from Gizmo's excellent UBBWiki page.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_install.php
https://www.ubbwiki.com/article/view/15/uploading-the-software-files.html

Good post Denny!

edit: updated the documentation. thanks again!

Last edited by isaac; 08/13/2017 2:42 AM.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I'm glad to have helped. I've been a UBB user for many years and have used this board a lot for help. It's nice to be able to give back.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I do have one other suggestion in the Upgrade documentation.

Where it currently says:

" 5. Upload all files and directories from the unzipped UBBâ„¢ directory to the UBBâ„¢ installation directory, except for the cache_builders/custom/ and includes/ directories, and the styles/wrappers.php file.

Upload these:
admin/
... etc."

It would be clearer (at least it would have been to me and would have saved me about 30 minutes having to restore my UBBâ„¢ installation directory and recopy files and directories) if it read.

" 5. Following the list below, upload the listed files and directories from the unzipped UBBâ„¢ directory to the UBBâ„¢ installation directory, except for the cache_builders/custom/ and includes/ directories, and the styles/wrappers.php file.

Upload these:
admin/
... etc."

Just a suggestion of something the would have helped me and might help someone else who upgrades only one a year or so. Thanks.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29