UBB.threads Developer
TOC / Overview
UBB.threads 7.6.1 (Release 2018-01-01) Changelog
UBB.threads 7.6.1.1 (Release Refresh 2018-01-11) Changelog
Upgrading To The Current Version of UBB.threads 7
New Styles
What To Do Next? / Discussion

UBB.threads 7.6.1 Changelog
UBB.Threads 7.6.1 has been released and is now available to download in the Member Area.

Summary of Changes
[NEW] Google reCAPTCHA is now available.
[NEW] New "My Account" drop-down menu. This menu replaces the "My Stuff" menu/links.
[NEW] Fetch_ip function will retrieve the correct Client IP address for sites behind a CDN or Firewall, or clients accessing the site behind a proxy.
[NEW] Attached images can now be automatically resized at the time of upload.
[NEW] Attached images can now be automatically compressed at the time of upload.
[NEW] New image "Attachments" page has been added to the Control Panel to control the size and compression of image attachments.
[NEW] Facebook "Share" has been added. This is in addition to "Like," which was already available.
[NEW] Added "Ventura" Style. Three variations are available: Burgundy, Cobalt, and Pine.
[NEW] Added "Ventura Open" Style. A variation of the "Ventura" style package. Two variations are available: Ink and Mint.
[NEW] Admin Log now records each time a user is checked or reported in StopForumSpam from the User Editor.
[NEW] The current forum config file is now backed up before new changes are saved. A forum owner can now roll back to their backup config file, if the new one gets corrupted during its creation.
[NEW] Post and Gallery attachments now display their file information on hover-over.
[NEW] Control Panel now displays the Post Attachments count and total size, as stored in the database.
[NEW] Control Panel now displays the Post Attachments count and total size, as stored on disk (when debugging is enabled).
[NEW] Control Panel Cache Manager will now purge files in the /tmp directory, and orphaned file entries in the database older than 2 hours.
[NEW] Login page now returns the user back to the page they were previously viewing just before logging in.
[NEW] Posts will now display an "OP" next to the name of the "Original Poster." Can be Customized through the Style Editor for each custom forum style.
[NEW] New Posts will now display a "NEW" indicator in the post subject/details bar.
[NEW] New default avatars will be displayed for users who do not have a profile avatar set.
[NEW] Long pages now will display a "Return to Top" chevron that can be clicked on to return the user back to the top of the page.
[NEW] Smooth Scroll added to the "Return to Top" jumper and the post/message previews.
[NEW] Added an option within the Primary/Advanced Settings to always "Expand Control Panel Sections" on key Control Panel pages.
[NEW] Responsive layout on mobile devices can be disabled for your entire forum.
[NEW] Subscription Details page can now be printed.
[NEW] Minify HTML Page Output

[UPDATE] UBB.gallery list page received some cosmetic updates to look more like a gallery by putting more attention on the thumbnail.
[UPDATE] Control Panel » Clear Cache now displays the items which will be cleared / rebuilt.
[UPDATE] All references to maps.google.com have been updated from HTTP to HTTPS.
[UPDATE] Control Panel now sends you directly to the Log In page if you are not logged in and attempt to access it.
[UPDATE] Post display has been updated and allows for the same author information to be displayed across multiple screen sizes.
[UPDATE] Private Messages indicator is now always displayed, making it easy for you to visit your Private Messages from any page.
[UPDATE] Topics can now be re-rated. If Topic Ratings are enabled, users can update their previous topic ratings.
[UPDATE] Topic Ratings menu has been completely updated.
[UPDATE] Active Topics layout has been adjusted to display a the first section of each listed post.
[UPDATE] Custom Titles are now shown in Italic font, and Forum Group Titles remain in regular font to help prevent users from faking a "Moderator" or "Admin" titles.
[UPDATE] The "My Account" left navigation menu will only display when there is enough screen width.
[UPDATE] CAPTCHA Settings group has been added to the Control Panel (General settings section).
[UPDATE] Social/Sharing Settings group has been added to the Control Panel (General settings section).
[UPDATE] Shareaholic setup directions have been updated to reflect the most recent changes on the shareaholic.com admin dashboard.
[UPDATE] SQL Backup now works as expected, and is quicker. Backup progress information is now displayed. Task start/end times are now added to the Admin Log.
[UPDATE] User Registration Queue pages have been polished. They now display the registrations in reverse chronological order (newest is first).
[UPDATE] User Registration Queue now only lists the last 50 registrations. A warning notice is shown when you reach 50+ registrations waiting.
[UPDATE] Control Panel updates and fixes, including further appearance updates, improved menus and layout corrections all over the place.
[UPDATE] Multiple language updates within the Control Panel for consistency, clarity, and layout improvement.
[UPDATE] Cleanup of language strings, templates, CSS, and JavaScript files.
[UPDATE] Updated Autosize library from 3.0.20 to version 4.0.0.
[UPDATE] Updated Dropzone asset from 4.3.0 to version 5.2.0.
[UPDATE] Updated FontAwesome library from 4.7.0 to version 5.0.1.
[UPDATE] Updated html5shiv library from 3.7.2 to version 3.7.3.
[UPDATE] Updated jQuery library from version 3.1.1 to version 3.2.1.
[UPDATE] Updated Lightbox asset from 2.9.0 to version 2.10.0.
[UPDATE] Updated PHPMailer library from 5.2.22 to version 5.2.25.
[UPDATE] Updated Smarty library from 2.6 to version 3.1.31.

[FIX] Viewing Subscriptions in CP would display a blank header and sidebar.
[FIX] Blank columns would display on some pages, when "Only Show [Left/Right] Column On The Portal" was checked.
[FIX] BBcode would insert html line breaks for PHP, HTML, and SQL BBcode Code tags.
[FIX] PHP4 left-overs updated to be correctly PHP5/PHP7 formatted. This progresses PHP7 compatibility.
[FIX] When creating a new Private Message, the "Add Users From Friend List" drop-down menu will not be displayed if the user has a blank "Friend List."
[FIX] Attachment/Poll Manager now updates the file/poll count in real time.
[FIX] Twitter and Facebook buttons on posts now use secure https URLs, use their current APIs and are now mobile-friendly.
[FIX] File Manager now displays a message when max attachments has been reached, and allow deletions of previous items.
[FIX] File Manager no longer pushes content off the screen for files with extremely long names.
[FIX] Minor Who's Online HTML fixes.
[FIX] UBB.gallery now displays the first image in the group as its main/cover thumbnail on the postlist page.
[FIX] UBB.gallery now displays the thumbnail images within each gallery with the correct proportions.
[FIX] Minor display fixes all over within the UBB.gallery pages.
[FIX] Fixed attached image Filename / Description display and Lightbox minimum window sizes.
[FIX] Fixed attached image Navigation indicators on Post List.
[FIX] UBB.gallery Image Manager now display image previews for image attachments.
[FIX] The Attachment Manager will now purge orphaned file entries in the database older than 2 hours.
[FIX] Post layout, "User info on top," has been fixed.
[FIX] Showflat post_top avatar display has been fixed for when a user has linked to a large image using an external URL for their avatar.
[FIX] User Avatar sizes on posts have been fixed.
[FIX] User Avatars are now displayed on Mobile screens.
[FIX] Gallery Threads now display the OP with the exact same style as post_top/mobile layout. All author details that are found within regular threads, are now displayed on Gallery threads.
[FIX] CAPTCHA now display correctly when the config variables cannot be passed through the url due to higher server security settings within php. This was a long-standing bug from at least UBBT 7.5.0. It has now been fixed.
[FIX] Control Panel display corrections for IPv6 addresses.
[FIX] Any code and page validation errors that were found, were fixed. There were a few of each.

UBB.threads 7.6.1.1 (2018-01-11) Changelog
The UBB.Threads 7.6.1.1 patch is now available to download in the Member Area.

Summary of Changes
[FIX] Fixed a Login bug where if you had Spider-friendly URLs disabled and attempted to login, the page would display a "File not found" error message above the login options.
[FIX] Permissions within the Control Panel will no longer display a blank entry when the field is null. Those fields are now displayed as just "0" (Disabled).
[FIX] Fixed an IE10/11 user avatar display bug.
[FIX] Fixed missing sticky image and poll image display on the post list.
[UPDATE] Permissions description within the Control Panel has been updated for simplicity and to further clarify the available entries.
[UPDATE] "Max File Size for Displaying Attached Images Inline" has been moved to the main Attachments settings page within the Control Panel.
[UPDATE] Updated Font Awesome library from 5.0.1 to version 5.0.4
[NEW] The Forum Jumper menu can now return you to the current forum's index page when clicking on "Hop To".
[NEW] Attachment Display is now customizable between Grouped or Inlined. Grouped images are displayed as thumbnails grouped together under the post. Inlined images are displayed at full width (while still fitting within the post width) just under the post text.

The items listed above are part of the "Release Refresh" that was pushed to the Member Area on UBBCentral. These items are primarily related to fixing functionality and display issues discussed with solutions on the UBBCentral forums within the first single week of release. The remaining items are feature requests that just happen to have made it in to this patch (possibly by magic).

Below is a list of the files within the patch, as they are the only files which have changed.
--UBB.threads files--
admin/doeditconfig.php
admin/dogallery.php
admin/dogen_display.php
admin/doprofiles.php
admin/gallery.php
admin/gen_display.php
languages/english/admin/cpperms.php
languages/english/admin/forumperms.php
languages/english/admin/gallery.php
languages/english/admin/gen_display.php
languages/english/admin/profiles.php
languages/english/admin/siteperms.php
libs/html.inc.php
libs/mysql.inc.php
libs/ver.inc.php
scripts/newuser.inc.php
scripts/postlist.inc.php
scripts/showflat.inc.php
styles/admin.css
templates/default/admin/cpperms.tmpl
templates/default/admin/forumperms.tmpl
templates/default/admin/gallery.tmpl
templates/default/admin/gen_display.tmpl
templates/default/admin/profiles.tmpl
templates/default/admin/siteperms.tmpl
templates/default/jumper.tpl
templates/default/post_side.tpl
templates/default/post_top.tpl
readme.html

--FontAwesome 5.0.4 files--
libs/fa/fa-all.css
libs/fa/fa-all.min.css
libs/fa/fa-brands-400.eot
libs/fa/fa-brands-400.svg
libs/fa/fa-brands-400.ttf
libs/fa/fa-brands-400.woff
libs/fa/fa-brands-400.woff2
libs/fa/fa-regular-400.eot
libs/fa/fa-regular-400.svg
libs/fa/fa-regular-400.ttf
libs/fa/fa-regular-400.woff
libs/fa/fa-regular-400.woff2
libs/fa/fa-solid-900.eot
libs/fa/fa-solid-900.svg
libs/fa/fa-solid-900.ttf
libs/fa/fa-solid-900.woff
libs/fa/fa-solid-900.woff2

UBB.threads 7.6.1 (Release 2018-01-01)
UBB.threads 7.6.1.1 (Release Refresh 2018-01-11)

- Full Changelog and Developer's Progress Notes
- Member Area

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Upgrading To The Current Version of UBB.threads 7
The upgrade path from UBB.threads 7.5.x versions, has always been to move to the most recent version of UBB.threads as they become available. Such as 7.5.x => 7.6.x. There is no need to do an incremental update from 7.5.8 to 7.5.9 to 7.6.0 to 7.6.1. You should update directly from your current UBB.threads 7 version, to the most recent version of UBB.threads.

The UBB.threads 7 Upgrade Guide can be found in the Docs tab in the menu header.

Patching UBB.threads From 7.6.1 To 7.6.1.1
Your forum's Dashboard will display which version you are currently running. UBB.threads Version 7.6.1.1, Release 20180111 is displayed in the "Server Information" column.

• If your UBB.threads version is 7.6.1, you should download the "ubbthreads-7-6-1p1.zip" patch from the Member Area and replace (copy over) just the files on your forum with the files from that archive. Your Dashboard should now display "UBB.threads Version 7.6.1.1, Release 20180111" under the "Server Information" column. After doing that, there is nothing more that you need to do, other than update your forum software to the next latest UBB.threads version when released, as you normally would. Congratulations. You're done.

• If your UBB.threads version is 7.6.1.1 (Release 20180111), you already have these fixes. There is nothing more that you need to do, other than update your forum software to the next latest UBB.threads version when released, as you normally would. Congratulations. You're done.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
New Styles
There are several Styles which you can use on your forums.

UBB.threads styles - Updated
  • UBB.threads
  • UBB.threads - Dark
  • UBB.threads - Light
  • UBBCentral
  • UBBCentral - Crimson (Red-White)
  • UBBCentral - Lime (LightGreen-Green)
  • UBBCentral - Marshmallow (Blue-Green)
  • UBBCentral - Mocha (Brown-DarkGreen)
  • UBBCentral - Zen (BlueGrey-Grey)

UBB.threads styles - New for 7.6.1
  • Ventura - Burgundy (DarkRed-DarkerRed)
  • Ventura - Cobalt (DarkBlue-DarkerBlue)
  • Ventura - Pine (Green)
  • Ventura Open - Ink (Blue)
  • Ventura Open - Mint (Green-DarkGreen)

Easily import the styles the same way you've always been able to import styles:
1. Go to Control Panel » Styles
2. Click the "Import Style" bottom tab.
3. Browse to your local install/styles/ directory from the "ubbthreads-XXX.zip" archive and select the style file you want to import.
4. Once your chosen style has been imported, you'll be at the "Edit or Add a Style" page. Confirm that Images within "Name, Images & Wrapper" is set to "default".
5. Click the "Update or Add Style" button at the bottom.
Your newly imported style is now ready to be used by your users. Repeat this process for each of the other new/updated styles you want to use.

From the Styles list page, now you can mark your older stock styles inactive, or delete them if you choose. Don't forget to set a default style for your forums.
Done.

Notes:
If you are currently using a stock style from your original UBB.threads 7.5 series install, it is highly recommended that you update to the matching current style from within the Member Area downloads section, or the most recent UBB.threads archive.
--
Within the Member Area downloads is a section listing for Style Packs. These Style Packs are already included within the main UBB.threads zip archive. They are also being made available independently with the intention of being useful to forum owners still running UBB.threads 7.5 series forums. Ideally, we'd like those older forums to update to the latest version, but we know that you're staying on that version for your own reasons. These Style Packs are compatible with UBB.threads 7.5 and 7.6. There have been zero adjustments made to them to account for the 7.5 series template bugs (which have since been corrected in 7.6). We want your 7.5.x forum to look modern. So at no extra cost, here they are for you thumbsup

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What To Do Next?

Now go update your forums.

If you have already updated, leave a comment reply here. Your comments help us know if you found something that needs to be fixed, or what new features you like the most.

Happy UBBTing! grin

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
First time upgrading from 7.6.0 to 7.6.1 was successful! So far, the only problem I've found is the FAQS are missing/broken.
Niiice changes, I like that Google ReCaptcha works, the "OP" feature, and I really like the Social Sharing buttons.
I really, really like that avatars and group images/badges are visible for mobile users..!
Awesome work guys!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from aliendisc.net]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Thanks!

It looks like your languages/english/faq.php file was not created successfully upon upgrade.

Confirming that I'm able to duplicate your reported bug -- I just now attempted to view the "Forum Help" (FAQ) page on my test server with an upgrade. It does not display for me either. Though, a fresh install works just fine.

The solution is to copy the faq.php file (mentioned above) from your archive, in to the same directory path on your forum install.

example:
ubbthreads-7-6-1.zip/ubbthreads-7-6-1/languages/english/faq.php
to
YOURDOMAIN dot com/ ... /languages/english/faq.php

Old Hand
Old Hand
Hi

I have just upgraded to 7.6.1. and imported the five Ventura styles. chose Ventura Open Ink as default

So far I have not checked out much however in the shoutbox someone wrote
the avatars are now blocking portions of the text. I have to disable them in order to read forum comments.

myself I have randomly open a page
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=711816
I then shared it on facebook it worked
- the like button shows that I liked it but facebook does not show it
I twrittred same page and while opening up twitter the link there did not linkback to same page but it linked to the forum start page.

Otherwise its exciting, I am trying to see how it compresses attached photos if there is any change in the gallery or the file attach in a regular topic.

thanks

Last edited by Morgan; 01/06/2018 1:31 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
O wow smile

Should be giving this a go in a few weeks.

Great work Guys smile

Nice and slick on my mobile at the moment.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Old Hand
Old Hand
here is something wrong

File not found: scripts/loginocuhttpwwwbritbikecomforumsubbthreadsphpubbcfrm.inc.php

when I click on login I get a error message see attached image

please advice

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 20.03.26.png

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Seems to be a bug with non-Spider Friendly URLs that we'll need to look at; is there a reason that you don't have them enabled?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
no
what should I enable? where do I find it?
thanks

Last edited by Morgan; 01/06/2018 3:59 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you rely on any sort of traffic from Search Engines you should ALWAYS have Spider Friendly URLs enabled. This can be done from the Control Panel at:
CP -> Master Settings -> Primary -> Basic Tab -> Advanced Settings -> Enable Spider-friendly URLs
Attachments
2018-01-06.png

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
OK I just login again after enabling Spider-friendly URLs and themessage went away.
So I'll keep it enabled. I may have found you a small bug..
Thanks

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Old Hand
Old Hand
UBB.threads
UBB.threads - Dark
UBB.threads - Light

we do have old members using theses styles
I have not updated these in the past and not now so how important is it and how can I update them?

Last edited by Morgan; 01/07/2018 8:26 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Old Hand
Old Hand
Oh I see The styles were probably auto updated when I uploaded 7.6.1

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Morgan
UBB.threads
UBB.threads - Dark
UBB.threads - Light
we do have old members using theses styles
I have not updated these in the past and not now so how important is it and how can I update them?

If you remove a style that one of your members is using, they will be bumped back to using your forum's Default Style.

If you have imported a new style to replace the old one, they can reselect that new style. Its very unlikely, but they might post a message about their style setting be reset back to default. Post a message that you've updated the styles to their most current versions, and that everyone should check them out laugh

The 7.6.1 updated styles have a few alignment corrections to their former 7.6.0 versions.

They also include all the new 7.6.1 style attributes for things like the "Return to Top" FAB and "No Avatar" items. Each has their own matching customizations for each style.

If you were to continue using the styles included with your 7.6.0 install, you'd be displaying those items with the basic forum default setting. So its really not a problem either way. Totally your call. If you did not customize the 7.6.0 styles currently on your forums, you should replace them with the current versions.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I have now deleted all old styles and have now only the five Ventura styles.
What do recommend? shall I keep it this way or re-install all old
UBB Threads styles including the UBBCentral styles.

I have a hugh feeling the old member will shout and ask where is my old style.
please let me know what you think.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think you may have misunderstood my post.

All the styles included in the 7.6.1 zip are updated versions of the ones included in the previous releases.

Old Hand
Old Hand
That I understood but they are in the install/styles right and I did not see any in the styles folder
so I believed those were not updated automatically is that right.

I can offcourse re-install from the 7.6.1.zip install/styles folder

Last edited by Morgan; 01/08/2018 8:33 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Morgan
That I understood but they are in the install/styles right and I did not see any in the styles folder
so I believed those were not updated automatically is that right.

I can offcourse re-install from the 7.6.1.zip install/styles folder

Re: the style import instructions above
The install/styles folder is correct laugh

Install the ones you want from that folder, and you're back on track

Old Hand
Old Hand
Alert, we may have a bug I don't know

all my moderators suddenly can see the Control Panel
administrator is set"1" all others are set "0" so I wonder what could be wrong?

how can I remove this asap???

Last edited by Morgan; 01/08/2018 9:03 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
moderators should only have access to the moderators section of the control panel. not the full version which the admin account has.

this is how they can do tasks like validate posts waiting for approval within the forums they moderate.

Old Hand
Old Hand
ok I see that now, I better leave the computer for a while before I get recangular eyes

I did re-install all styles so now all must be clear for 7.6.1..

10-4

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
So many cool things going on !!!
I'm bringing my install forward to next week smile

On Mobile is slick or if your young "Its sick mannn" lol

Top Job Isaac really Top Job !!

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Journeyman
Journeyman
I noticed the poll icon is missing when a thread contains or starts with a poll... Ignore the latest activity feed / modified portal of my site, view a forum category subject listing instead, where all the icons from UBB.threads original coding appears... I remember there use to be a poll icon...

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
MarkS, thanks! And a big thank you for everything you've added to the developer discussions on UBBDev.com

M4TT, good catch!
We got the Poll and Sticky icons fixed for 7611 because you spotted them missing before we did. Also, the ReCaptcha additions was because of your reporting in a related area.

Thanks guys!

Old Hand
Old Hand
Isaac,

Have now updated to 7.6.1.1

Could you please show example on this new feature how it looks in reality, maybe its me being non english speaking by nature.

[NEW] Attachment Display is now customizable between Grouped or Inlined. Grouped images are displayed as thumbnails grouped together under the post. Inlined images are displayed at full width (while still fitting within the post width) just under the post text.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's located within the Attachments setting page of the Control Panel. It restores the post attachment presentation of the 7.5 series, while allowing you to toggle to the 7.6 attachment presentation if you'd like that instead.

Grouped attachment display is good for when the majority of your forum posts are technical or include many attached images at once, such as events.

Inlined attachment display is useful for when your users often post just a few (or only one) images at a time with each post.

The display type should be specific to how you'd prefer your post attachments to display.

"Grouped" is what is currently used on UBBCentral.

Old Hand
Old Hand
So I have now tested Grouped and inline and see what they do, I'll keep the grouped option.
Thanks

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Okay I can't say enough about the refresh 7.6.1.1 info.
It has always been somewhat secretive dealing with in the past.
As far back as 7.0
You were never aware of a refresh unless you had the bugs and were told about it to use by the programmer.
There were patches in the past but they were like inbetween version updates.

I see that in the members area that the versions have a new date even though it still shows 7.6.1 for some reason and there is also a patch update.
Also the cp on a existing install shows a update.to 7.6.1.1
And you mention it in the changelog, Another first.

Thank You,Thank You.

Did I say Thank You?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Upgrade glitch.

Im upgrading my test board from 7.6.0 to 7.6.1
My 7.6.0 install was from our beta days, but I had manually and painstakingly updated 7.6.0 with my custom edits in my language files.

Im running the upgrade from the install directory, as you do. Everything is going better than great until the language file step 7 I think it shows, but I can not move forward past this point as it sees files as different and thats fine as they belong to a recognised language string, only my content is different.

Ive selected update manually, used the list of edits to be made, chipping away at the list, adding a few new strings and removing a few also. But left ultimately with the language variables that don't need to be automatically updated.

Ive cross checked. The language variable exists only my string is different...

My work around was to download my English language files. Upload the stock language files, restart the upgrade process, and continue to the end and then upload my manual changed files.

That worked, so the point im making is at the step after selecting update manually, with the retry option or try automatically. I had no option to ignore the files and get to the next step.

There are many other language strings that are customised, so it was strange these did not show in this list of files to be updated. I will drop some screen shots off tomorrow.

The new installer was so informative, and helpful it made the upgrade painless and very easy to follow. I just had no way to advance.

Regards Mark

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Isaac and I have attempted upgrade from v7.6.0 to v7.6.1.1 via the upgrade utility on the stock (US) English language files with no issues; you should patch any non US English language files outside of the upgrade utility.

It is important to note that you cannot copy paste from the installer page as it processes the HTML from the language files in the warning messages area; you'll need to grab any language strings directly from the language files.

We tested with
"Languages - Let the upgrader upgrade these for you"
"Update My Language Files"
and also
"I Have Updated My Language Files By Hand "

The official upgrade documentation (with screenshots) is available at https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_upgrade7.php

Sorry It was late and thought i had posted this on the DEV site...

Stock files no problem I agree.

The installer language update does say "Update By Hand" as an option.
So following that option as I do have customised "Stock" language files I proceed.

I'm then presented with a page that shows me the changes that are required to move to the next stage.

I then proceed to open up each of the language files and make the changes recommended and upload that language file again.
I can then run the "retest" option at the top of the page. I can then see the remove strings no longer being highlighted as an issue. I can also add the strings in the language files and upload them and again re-run the test on that page and the list of queries getting less and less until i have a page of "String not been updated"..

At this point i know i do not need to add any missing variables or strings. Which is a great way of staying up to date with changes, and testament to the updater and its feedback. Everything is done.... I'm happy with the outstanding changes, but i'm unable to progress to the next part of the update..

In this situation a skip button would have resolved all.

Attachments
language.PNG

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you are updating languages in addition to the Stock English language (ie; multiple languages), and everything checks out successfully, you'll get stuck at a page which says, "[LANGUAGE] language files have been updated." The bug in this situation is that there should be a button at the bottom which says, "Continue The The Next Step" or at least a button that takes you to the "Test Again" page. But there is none.

To get around that, use your browser's BACK button, and then click on the "test again" link at the top.

Now the upgrader will check your language files once again, and confirm that everything is good. There is a "Continue The The Next Step" button at the bottom of this page. You can now continue with the upgrade process as normal.

This is a display bug that I just came across after reading your initial post above -- thank you for pointing this out smile

The upgrader is designed to not let you continue if all your language files have been upgraded. WHY? Because if you continue with broken languages and missing strings, you'll probably also have a broken forum.

---

The red highlighted language strings on that initial page are lines which should be copied directly from the stock language files, and placed in to your custom language files. They should not be copy/pasted from the report screen. Especially since the report screen transposes "HTML code" in to "Executed HTML."

Therefore, if you have custom languages, its best to;
1. Make note of the strings and which files they came from.
2. Let the upgrader make the changes to your custom language files for you.
3. Finish your upgrade.
4. Go back, at your leisure, and manually update your custom languages using the reported items from that window. Not copy/paste from the report. But use the line items as a guide/reference to whats needed. OR go in to each language file and update them as you see fit. You can edit the languages either by opening the files directly, or by using the built-in Languages Editor from within the UBBT Control Panel.

What was neat with the installer was it pointed out strings that I had missed, and strings i had not removed.
I had about 6 of each to remove and add.

So as I was going through the install the language loop was allowing me to modify the language files which was pretty neat very much how the file checker can work for you. Using the re-test option and any remove this and add that prompts did go away only leaving the not updated prompts.

I cross checked the language files associated with those "not updated" i could see the language variable was in my language file, but the description of the string was my own. So my installer was pretty neat at getting everything as it could be. I new the "not updated" list was fine with me just to proceed. But its also allowed me a neat way to update update custom files even if the installer was not designed this way.

1. Run the installer.
2. Modify the language files and up load again.
3. run the test again.
4. Once done, showing only "not updated", download all the language files.
5. upload the stock files.
6. complete the update.
7. upload the custom language files.

It works for me. smile

Loving the software its great...

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
I'm alive on my live forums...
Took the plunge this morning smile

A bit of a Hick-up on my language files but i got around that.
Installed the patch afterwards and the members are loving it smile

Done a test registration and we are rocking....
All bells and whistles accounted for smile

I'm just chipping away as some of the old tweaks that continue to work..

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G Online: Content
How do you handle photo file size limitations as phones now take pictures using more than 6M?

I have my board set at 2M and have run into not being able to upload photo with Attachment Manager. I wonder how many of my users just give up as file too big. The 1M setting here also prevented me from uploading a photo. My users are typically tech challenged. I like to think I know a thing or two and I am stumped for simple solution from my phone.

On another note, See attached Image. The message is bit confusing as clicking on either link as directed, I lose my post info already typed to that point. Need different insructions.
Attachments
42C01F26-6736-40AB-B032-3BCB7A9DD0B9.png

Last edited by Geoff; 01/17/2018 2:49 PM. Reason: Added another note
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Geoff
How do you handle photo file size limitations as phones now take pictures using more than 6M?

Allow uploads as large as the picture file size you believe your users will upload.

So basically set the upload file size limit to 8MB or even 10MB.
In the Control Panel > Attachments page, use the default settings for Image Quality.

With the UBB.threads default Image Quality settings, most of your user's 8MB images will be compressed and stored to about 200K - 1.5MB.

Here is a sample gallery regarding this:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/galleries/258291/test-for-attachment-sizes

And a screenshot with additional samples, as post attachments.
[Linked Image]

G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G Online: Content
Originally Posted by isaac
So basically set the upload file size limit to 8MB or even 10MB.
In the Control Panel > Attachments page, use the default settings for Image Quality.

Most of your user's 6MB images will be compressed and stored to about 500K - 1.5M

I just tried that but looks like the Forum Group Permissions for Max file attachment size are restricting to the setting there. My board are set at 4M with php.ini max at 8M.

Saw note in CP > Attachment > Image Quality about Forum "The maximum accepted attachment file size (before processing) can be set within the Forum Manager, within the "Details" of each forum." Mine are set at 4M here. NOTE: not within "Details". Should change to "Permissions"

Last edited by Geoff; 01/17/2018 3:13 PM. Reason: Added Forum Image Quality Note

I am a Superstar! Testing signature here
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you want to allow your users to attach larger images (file size), fix your "Forum Group Permissions" "Max file attachment size" settings to allow your users to attach larger file sizes.

The Max file attachment size permission = the file size of the file that is allowed to be received by your forum BEFORE having any type of resizing or compressing done to it.

The image compression and resizing can only be done to the image once it has been received by your forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 361 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29