Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#261654 09/12/2018 10:22 PM
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G Online: Content
My hosting provider upgraded to PHP 7.2 today which broke UBB 7.6.1.1. Is there a release coming that will support it? I could not find it in changelog but thought I remember talk about it.

I was able to downgrade to 5.6 but being forced to upgrade by end of year.

I am a Superstar! Testing signature here
Geoff #261655 09/12/2018 10:32 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We do not have a PHP7 compatible build currently available; several key portions of coding has to be completely rewritten to reach that point.

If you're stuck in a situation where your host updates PHP you can instruct Apache to use an older installed build by inserting one of the following in your .htaccess in your webroot:
Code
# Use PHP56 Single php.ini as default - all subdirectories will use ~/public_html/php.ini
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php56s .php
Code
# Use PHP56 php.ini as default - all subdirectories will use their root php.ini
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php56 .php

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Geoff #261659 09/17/2018 5:37 AM
Stranger
Stranger
I'm also in this situation at the moment.

My host is very security-savvy and top of the line, and they're completely dropping PHP5.6 support around October this year.

Any chance or estimation when (basic) PHP7.0+ support is coming to UBB.Threads?

For my website, it was enough to simply move all database connections to MySQLi and the rest of the code was compatible. However, I understand UBB.Threads is significantly more complicated.

Yet, I can't really blame the host for dropping end-of-life software that isn't being patched anymore, in today's world where security is highly prioritized over features.

Slaz #261660 09/17/2018 5:49 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Slaz
Yet, I can't really blame the host for dropping end-of-life software that isn't being patched anymore, in today's world where security is highly prioritized over features.

PHP 5.6 is officially supported until 31 December 2018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#Release_history

PHP 5.6 received a security patch just 5 days ago, September 13, 2018
http://php.net/ChangeLog-5.php#5.6.38

Progress on UBB.threads support for PHP7 is definitely a work in progress.
As you're probably already aware, the current core software development, announcements and general how-to guides posted here, are being done by just one person, myself. Lots of support and additional code resources are being provided to me from Gizmo.

As I've written in the ShoutChat box last week, "It's really hard to make a plan for a release, because there isn't a team of developers available 40 hours a week. Sometimes we will have a lot of time to contribute and sometimes we'll have a really busy week."

7.6.2 is being released later today, in hopes of completing that round, and joining the battle for php7 once again thumbsup

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
isaac #261662 09/17/2018 6:15 AM
Stranger
Stranger
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by Slaz
Progress on UBB.threads support for PHP7 is definitely a work in progress.
As you're probably already aware, the current core software development, announcements and general how-to guides posted here, are being done by just one person, myself. Lots of support and additional code resources are being provided to me from Gizmo.

As I've written in the ShoutChat box last week, "It's really hard to make a plan for a release, because there isn't a team of developers available 40 hours a week. Sometimes we will have a lot of time to contribute and sometimes we'll have a really busy week."

7.6.2 is being released later today, in hopes of completing that round, and joining the battle for php7 once again thumbsup
Thanks, really appreciate the continued development and dedication to this software! I'll contact my host soon and see if we'll manage something with either longer support for 5.6 or to let it run 'silent' in the back. thumbsup

Last edited by Slaz; 09/17/2018 6:15 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, domspeak), 353 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29