Print Thread
Hop To
#261702 10/05/2018 10:17 AM
A
Stranger
Stranger
A Offline
Hi,

I not it's not really pre-sales anymore, since we bought a license a few days ago, but maybe also of interest for others.
When do you plan to support PHP 7? I'm asking because the currently supported PHP version will only receive security updates until the of 2018.

Thank you, best regards,
Mike

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
PHP7 support is currently being worked on in the next release, no ETA is available.

The UBB.threads test script is also being worked on with the new system requirements that'll be required with the next build (a minimum of PHP5.4).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The next release will support php7.

it's currently running on the developer site at https://www.ubbdev.com with php 5.4

with php 7.0 at the following large scale sites:
https://celicahobby.com
and
https://www.agardenersforum.com/forum/

and developer testing at several php 7.1 and php 7.2 test environment forums.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
A
Stranger
Stranger
A Offline
It seems that you are working on PHP 7 support for about two years, any chances to get this done before the end of 2018?
Please give an honest and realistic estimation.

Thank you for the fast reply.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Astro_Mike
It seems that you are working on PHP 7 support for about two years
UBB.threads 7.6.2 was just released on September 18, 2018. Once that was released, I began working around the clock (18 hour days) on php 7 support.

Php 7 support is happening. It's being tested right now. It required a lot of rewrite. All I can say is that you can see it working in the sites posted above. Those sites were updated with php 7.0 support less than 5 days ago. We are also testing and resolving any issues brought with php 7.1 and 7.2. That's the best indicator of "soon" which I have right now.

Changing code and making it work for one single installation of UBB.threads is one thing, but when you take into consideration that there are thousands of installations of UBB.threads with varying board and server configurations, all using hundreds or even thousands of different custom forum settings and customizations, and that the current release is stable for all of those it would be irresponsible of us to suddenly make a change that would affect 100% of all updated installations without knowing if those installations would still work or not or if there will be data loss.

We want to test a bit longer so that large bugs don't suddenly come up, as has already been the case just testing from php 7.0 to 7.1 to php 7.2.

isaac #261709 10/05/2018 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by isaac
Php 7 support is happening. It's being tested right now. It required a lot of rewrite. All I can say is that you can see it working in the sites posted above. Those sites were updated with php 7.0 support less than 5 days ago. We are also testing and resolving any issues brought with php 7.1 and 7.2. That's the best indicator of "soon" which I have right now.

Changing code and making it work for one single installation of UBB.threads is one thing, but when you take into consideration that there are thousands of installations of UBB.threads with varying board and server configurations, all using hundreds or even thousands of different custom forum settings and customizations, and that the current release is stable for all of those it would be irresponsible of us to suddenly make a change that would affect 100% of all updated installations without knowing if those installations would still work or not or if there will be data loss.

We want to test a bit longer so that large bugs don't suddenly come up, as has already been the case just testing from php 7.0 to 7.1 to php 7.2.

Double plus 1

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
A
Stranger
Stranger
A Offline
I completely understand your point and also the work you have to invest with all the complexity. The problem is that we are setting up a new forum and have to clarify the data security. If there is no security patch for the current php version, it's not possible to ensure data security and the forum owner, we are fully responible for that.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The current version of UBB.threads is version 7.6.2, and was posted just weeks ago. it includes security fixes, and it is stable, and current.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/261663/7-6-2-changelog-discussion

Php 5.6.38 was posted just 3 weeks ago. It is current, stable, and secure.
http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-5.php#5.6.38

Your questions have been answered with as much clarity as possible.

We are striving for both security and stability. But if you don't care about stability (or security) and you just want php 7.0 support, you are welcome to apply to join the beta program and run beta software in your production environment. But that is not advised at this time.

You are also welcome to download the current release version (7.6.2) of UBB.threads from the Member Area and customize/update the code to be compatible with php7 and MySQLi and Smarty3.1 on your own, until a release version if the package is available.

Originally Posted by Astro_Mike
Please give an honest and realistic estimation.
What's already been posted/linked within this thread is the most current information that I have for you at this time.

isaac #261712 10/05/2018 2:17 PM
A
Stranger
Stranger
A Offline
Originally Posted by isaac
Your questions have been answered with as much clarity as possible..

Not really, saying we will do, and you are obviously doing for 2 years still saying no ETA is available does not clear anything. However, I'll open a ticket, asking for a written guarantee that the software will data save. Anyway, thank you for your time.

Veteran
Veteran
Isaac is pretty much the guy writing the UBB software so what he tells you is pretty much the deal. A support ticket asking for a guarantee of a time table will not get any different results.

I was a beta tester in the past and see he is a very accomplished and experienced programmer that really does all his research and own testing before the beta testers test the software. If you join the beta testing team with many others the more beta testers involved can and will make the change over easier and faster.

Fill out the forum and join the team, contribute to the testing program and help in the development of the UBB platform.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads 7.7.0 begins support for PHP 7 (and newer).
https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_install.php

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29