Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, I'm all for an option in the software to show a part of the topic, but I would be furious if it did not send the full text of the PM to me via EMail...

As an independent contractor I do NOT check all of my client sites on a regular basis, and when receiving a PM it's generally the client messaging me about what they need; when checking from my email when I'm not in my home office I want the ENTIRE PM sent to me so I do not have to go and login from a computer that I cannot "trust" (potential keyloggers, having to install software to do various tasks, etc).

I'm sure a mod to do this wouldn't be too hard, likely just using the PHP functions substr and strlen then attaching some text at the end (such as "to view the full contents of this pm, click the link below").

Too many of my almost 13,000 users are not computer savvy in the least - and they are forever replying to the notification email! (Of course I get the email instead of who they think they are replying to) For me, my system isn't emailing independent contractors, just members telling them they have a PM on the forum. You are knowledgeable enough to understand not to reply back to the notification email, but many of my members are older folks.

It would be a big help for me to NOT have the entire text of the PM included in the notification. I'd be perfectly happy to have none of the text there - just a notice that says "so-and-so has sent you a PM. Click here to read it." I don't care if it's an option, but it would sure be good for my operation.