Originally Posted by Ruben
Well first, the UBB software does not lock you out after x number of bad attempts.
A message to that fact does not even exist.
Now it will say invalid etc.

And you can ban,delete a member.

But back to the issue.
The part about permissions error is probably the most critical needed info as well as what you actually changed and action performed..

Ruben --

I've experienced these lockouts to our UBB board before. It's as if I'm being considered to be an intruder (do not know the correct terminology to use here).
Always the same scenario[/B]:[/B] Whatever I'm trying to do as an admin causes a number of error messages similar to the above
I use two computers, from two locations (one at home, the other at work), via two IP resources (Home=AT&T, Work=Earthlink). Both computers use Firefox browser, though they are at different levels (12.x and 23.x - Hate the latter browser so haven't changed the older version, FWIW.) Both sites are dynamic IP addresses.

In the past, just as recently, after generating X number of errors I cannot access the BB. I get timeouts when trying to bring up a new page, or even refresh the current page or even page backwards beyond the in-computer cache.

When I go to my other computer / network, no problem accessing our UBB. Don't know who is locking me out, but SOMEone is. Am guessing that UBB is the culprit. (Other browsing works perfectly after a lockout occurs.)

Not trying to ban or delete a member. To the best of my knowledge those functions work w/o a problem. DO NOT WANT TO TRY IT with the user's profile in question - too much to lose, too little to gain.

BACK TO THE ISSUE:

Her member number is 156 out of about 560 registrations.

What I actually changed:
Control Panel > Membership - Member Management > Member Number (156) > Member Information tab. Then alter ANY field on that screen and click on UPDATE MEMBER button at bottom of screen.

Get error message
Originally Posted by RECEIVED ERROR MESSAGE
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/admin/changeuser.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Refreshed the page, made ZERO changes, clicked on the UPDATE MEMBER button at bottom of screen, again. Same error message.

Not wanting to push my luck and get locked out here, too, I'll not try any other alterations as I write this.

FWIW, I also went to the PERMISSIONS, FIELDS and PREFERENCES tabs at the top of the Member Management group. Here again, clicking on the UPDATE MEMBER button at bottom of screen caused the above-shown error message to appear, until I was finally "locked out" from ANY access to OUR message board. (Can get to UBBcentral message board w/ zero problems. Can also access other sites w/ zero problems. It's just OUR message board that I cannot {re}access.)

Don't know what else I can tell you. Reminder: you are dealing with a newbie here. And - I suspect - I do not have access to all of the files / options of our UBB message board installation. On the other side of the coin, the message board's owner is less software knowledgeable then I am, which why he gives me Admin permission.

Have I answered everything?

RIck- ("Rick" with a dash - the 'other Rick')

8^D

RIck- ("Rick" with a dash - the 'other Rick')

8^D