Originally Posted by Gizmo
... I'm wondering what the permissions are on that file; are you able to preform this same activity on other members? Are there any items showing up in your web server error log when you're getting this forbidden message? ...

Gizmo -

Cannot answer all of your questions at this time. Regarding your question "are you able to preform this same activity on other members?" the answer is "YES". No problem editing other members' records, to date. (Same character change to 'affected' members.)

That's all I can tell you, so far. I'm acting as the 'go between' you-all and the site's owner, at his request. (He thinks I'm tech savvy. Little does he know.)
At the moment I don't have access to the server, nor do I have knowledge as to where it is.

I should add, Gizmo, a comment about the quote you picked off,
"You don't have permission to access /forum/admin/changeuser.php on this server."
The site's owner is getting the identical message while attempting to update the same record. Now if HE doesn't have permission, . . .

=================

Reuben -
You state "I have seen it happen to myself after a host upgraded the server"
In this case, I've been told that the message board was installed on a new / different host & server. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Both sites were running simultaneously until the installer was fairly certain that it was safe to cut over from one to the other.

The conversion was done by the people at Virtual Night Club (Found them via this msg board. I started the communication with James, there.) Conversion took place around June, 2013. Also, conversion was from 6.5.2 to 7.5.7, FWIW.
(My hat is off to James. He was VERY responsive.)

Probably would still be on that older release if it weren't for spiders revealing content of (what's SUPPOSED to be) a closed message board. Owner wanted to get it locked down, but I couldn't find any method after searching this msg board. Always close, but never got the cigar.

RIck- ("Rick" with a dash - the 'other Rick')

8^D