Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
willing #243724 06/08/2011 9:30 PM
S
S Offline
Originally Posted by willing
Originally Posted by razor_head
.....Part of this success is based on the look and feel of UBB compared to the look and feel of other and competing forum software bundles.

Look and feel is important. And UBB is king of the hill in terms of the ability to project a look and feel. We have a professional graphics artist as one of our founding members, and she has very specific requirements on the software package, requirements we were unable to find in other packages.

Surely. Surely... you cannot be serious with those comments. I find it extremely difficult to believe that.

I have spent the last 5 days, for the first time really, looking at alternatives.
And I am frankly very shocked at what I have seen.
And also kind of angry at myself for being complacent and not looking sooner.

I've played around with a few such as simple machines and I think that ubb is the best. I've heard bad things about VB. What forumware shocked you?

And please tone down your negativity and if you don't like the company then go with another one.

Rick #243725 06/08/2011 9:36 PM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
I suggest you don't mistake frank opinions from a long-term customer for 'negativity'. It's not a case of 'not liking the company'. I think I made that clear before. Too bad if you don't like my opinions.

I am going with ipboard. I have been playing with it for the last 5 days and I am amazed at how far advanced it is over ubbthreads. It doesn't give me any pleasure in saying that as it is going to give me a lot of work, but I'm excited at the upgrade I am about to take. But like I said I feel a bit silly now for not looking sooner. I always believed that version 8 would just be great, and be with us like last year. But now that I have spent the time looking elsewhere, I have seen absolutely nothing that shows me that even Verion 8 will be anything on - for example - what ipboard is offering.

Never even heard of "simple machines". In my original searches over the weekend that name never came up as a major player.

Rick #243733 06/08/2011 11:01 PM
is there an importer available for ipboard?

JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users
Rick #243734 06/08/2011 11:05 PM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
I suppose it isn't good form to really go on about it here, but... yes.

Rick #243736 06/08/2011 11:12 PM
S
S Offline
dam it looks expensive, after adding up everything it came out to almost $300. No thanks, and the look and feel of it is very bland.

ShiftKnowledge #243737 06/08/2011 11:32 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
dam it looks expensive, after adding up everything it came out to almost $300. No thanks, and the look and feel of it is very bland.
Agreed... For note, this isn't really a good place for dropping info about competing software; that's a bit "stab you in the back"-ish...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Rick #243739 06/09/2011 12:01 AM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
I suppose I'm just 'rich' then. confused
Don't know about you, but my Forums are worth way more to me. I don't mind paying for quality and features.
Calling that bland and then looking at this Forum? Now that raised a chuckle.

Yes, Gizmo, I was aware of that, sorry.... ShiftKnowledge asked.
Please delete as necessary if feel the need.
Thank you.

Rick #243740 06/09/2011 1:38 AM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Though for some reason it doesn't say so, I am also an 11+ year UBB user, supporter and lifetime licensee. I also have credits enough to have had Rick do the upgrade to get the nearly million posts on my board safely and painlessly over into the new version which we've all been waiting for. I started my own org. with 60 people and have led it to over 50K members in 13 years and I can't imagine the pain it would put me through to let go of it for any reason, so we should all have some sympathy for Rick on this. This has been his baby and now he's handing it off. I wish him the best. It has to be gut wrenching.

I am also very worried about my own investment (not money, but trust) in this format/product because it's so critical to the 20K or so members (nearly 40% of my membership) and thousands of daily surfers by who visit my board. It's important in our industry to protect people from scam artists and misinformation and I worry that a new company may not even be able to offer the same updating and safety net for our data which is beyond critical for us. I am less concerned about the obvious PR gaffes here and more concerned that a new owner is letting some of his longest timed veteran users swing in the wind after posting his (or her) first name only and when seeing what is posted here, not coming back STRONG to quell our fears. I mean seriously, if you aren't worried about those folks who are the biggest apostles for the products name and reputation, what hope is there for everyone else? I've been promising and re-promising our members all these new and coming soon updates for way too long and I am geting heat now and it's hurting my own credibility. Perhaps I shouldn't have trusted the info and promises we were getting here, but I admit I made that mistake based on more than a decade long relationship.

So Mr/Mz Brooks, can you please step up as our new user community leader and holder of the future of our use of this critical tool and give us a bit of hope for the future? If Rick felt the need to come out with this info, I have to think that you as the new owner weren't blindsided by it. But you're really only fanning the flames here instead of at least communicating. And why the secret as to who you actually are? When a void of info so simply offered is there, people, by nature, fill in the blanks, often with the worst case scenario.

I don't like change. I don't even like changing our board from version to version any more than I need to. But the features that have been promised are also those being DEMANDED by my members and I am losing traffic to Facebook and other sites because I waited to update from the ancient version 7.02 until 8 was coming out because way back when Rick told me to just hang on and go with 8.0. That was perhaps more than 2 years ago.

Thanks for the assurances (which I finally found on page 2) that our lifetime memberships would be honored. I am hopeful that you'll also be sure to not only update our boards based on remaining support time in our account (which Rick had assured me of) but also you'll make sure that our older pages continue to show up in google searches now. We've had a terrible problem with version 5.xx pages coming up in their old format which is non working so that when important older info is found in searches, people can't reply or engage from that page at all. It's always been a train wreck I had hoped could be fixed when we jumped to 8.

Brooks may be the greatest thing ever to happen. But I hope there's a customer relations person who can step up and put out the negative energy which is building. It's sad to see Rick's labor of love getting trashed due to uncertainty by some and terror by others. Sadly, I confess and a complete non-techie, the latter applies to me.

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
www.justplainfolks.org

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks Music Organization
www.justplainfolks.org
sat4all.com #243741 06/09/2011 1:57 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Originally Posted by sat4all.com
I would like to know within 2 weeks:

- what is going to be the exact feature list for v8?
- what timeframe untill the actuall release of v8?
Interesting.

I am the Tech Slave for a community that has been together for 15+ years. Little over a year ago they were kicked out of their home. Funny because the new owner didn't understand them and went in thinking he could handle it and got trolled bad. We went with UBB because it was the first forum software that was used on the site.

Over the last year they have been asking for more functions/features. My golden rule is to never mess with the core code. Who knows a semi truck of USDA goat butts might overturn and kill me. Then they would have to deal with some pleb trying to figure out my hacks. However in order to give them what they want, I have had to add to and change core code. Functions that are available on other platforms. This brings up the problem of updating and having to backtrack and change things if they are replaced in the new version.

2 weeks ago I too started searching for a replacement. Found one that I liked and had the features that the community wanted. Wrote a importer script and dumped the old forums into it. Was in the middle of porting the skins over when I read about the new owner. I agree with sat4all I will be willing to hold on a little longer but not much more. The biggest draw for me on UBB 8 was hooks in the core code for plugins. I hate doing things twice.

As for Rick

AWSESOME DUDE!!!!11!ONE

Never needed any tech support but did notice he was usually around for others. Him, SD and Giz. The best of luck to you.

ShiftKnowledge #243743 06/09/2011 5:31 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
I've played around with a few such as simple machines and I think that ubb is the best. I've heard bad things about VB. What forumware shocked you?

And please tone down your negativity and if you don't like the company then go with another one.

You might wanna check out IP.Board.
I tried the free demo and it is way ahead in looks, features and under the hood.

I am waiting the full two weeks, but if there is no response or the response is not to my satisfaction, I know to what forum software I am going to convert to.
The importer imports everything, except for permissions and gallery forums.

I think we are fully entitled to be a little skeptic and even negative. Before Rick threw his story on this site, the new owner should have had his story ready to post.

Rick #243744 06/09/2011 6:47 AM
K
K Offline
Hiya Rick! Such a good decision mate. Once upon a time I started a little website, out of which grew a UBB.Classic - UBB.Threads Forum out of which grew a bleeping great club. I have put thousands of hours into it. I've had a few years with lower activity by myself, but since last year I'm very active again and actually some of my best friends have come out of that Forum. It's amazing. I've very very thankful for that.

I don't think the decision was all that hard for you though: there's been so much nagging on here I can't believe it. I mean, we all knew (should know) you weren't doing this full time, your quality standards are higher than those of many 'larger' (in a way) products. But hey, people nowaddays either want things for free or want things yesterday. So leaving behind a 'baby' (I know how it feels like) is never hard, but I'm pretty sure there's a big weight of your shoulders now. Breathe, my man, breathe! I'm also sure you've made the right decision with the new owner - by which I mean I'm sure he's gone through quite some questioning sessions, you wouldn't have left your baby behind without being certain it was in extremely good hands, and you got to see it again every now and then.

For those that don't realise it: this is actually a GOOD step for the future. Sure, it's going to delay things (or maybe not, as there'll be multiple developers working on it now), but it's become obvious over the last months that Rick didn't have the time nor the energy that Threads deserved. As for the ones that say 'xxx should have been the new owner', well, there's a big difference between developping useful things / inserting new code / understanding the product and actually creating something. I'm sure Rick has considered all options but wanted UBB to raise above its current level, with more users and it becoming a wider known product. Yes, currently most users will experience remarks like "UBB? Don't know it" followed by your own "it's actually pretty good, way way better than ... and user-friendly as well, even for non-tech users". So yes let's all hope the new owner will put a lot of practical effort in development as well as marketing, we'll all benefit from more users = more money = more energy = better and quicker development. In short: Rick's been a gem, he's put everything he had in this, but it's time to move on, both for him and the product.

Rick, all the best to you, don't be a stranger wink - time to start a new life!!

Rick #243745 06/09/2011 8:20 AM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
mean, we all knew (should know) you weren't doing this full time, your quality standards are higher than those of many 'larger' (in a way) products. But hey, people nowaddays either want things for free or want things yesterday

Utter nonsense.

We all knew? No we didn't.
Where does it say that when you pay up?
The product is marketed as a company product.
It certainly is not sold as a one-man part time hobby.
We should have known? Why, when not a single mention of this situation is made.
I would have had serious reservations much earlier if I had known this.

As a customer, I care not the personal stories of who are behind it. As long as support is good. To constantly bring up this 'well, it was a part time' lark is making some people pretty pissed off, and rightly so. If that is the story, be up front about it when you take peoples money, not just when you run out the back door.

If indeed it was obvious that Rick did not have the time or energy, why were we not told that rather than the "in 2 months" line we were fed?

Reasonable people expect stuff when they pay for it and it is promised. This has absolutely Nothing to do with wanting something for free. In fact, personally I do not want something for free. I want to pay for a quality product.

I agree with one part though. It is good. I have found a product that is so way ahead of this, its almost funny.

willing #243746 06/09/2011 8:49 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by willing
We all knew? No we didn't.
Where does it say that when you pay up?
The product is marketed as a company product.
It certainly is not sold as a one-man part time hobby.
We should have known? Why, when not a single mention of this situation is made.
I would have had serious reservations much earlier if I had known this.

There really should be a different topic just for this, as I really don't like cluttering this one with this discussion. So, this will be my last post regarding the defense of the sale, and the way the business was run.

For almost 15 years it's been a one man show, with some help here and there along the way. Even when Infopop had it, I was still the lone developer. That fact was never hidden. Also, I put more hours, by far, into UBB than I did in my day job, so it certainly wasn't treated as a hobby. Support has always been there, development has always been there. Version 8 was a huge undertaking with some setbacks along the way.

If I was into stringing people along and deceiving people, then I'd have just kept UBB while moving to the new job. I wanted what was best for UBB and the customers that have stuck with the product for years.

Rick #243747 06/09/2011 8:51 AM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Sorry Rick, I did not mean for that to come across as an accusation. And I am not questioning your devotion.

It may not have "been hidden", but it certainly was not clearly laid out either. My guess would be that almost no-one other than the hardcore here knew. People would have to go out of their way to find out, and I would guess that most people by default would think it were being offered by a company and would not think of 'finding out' - not that it actually tells us that on the website anyway. And also your posts when talking about ubbthreads are very much 'we', not 'I'.... we implies multiple people.

Bottom line, the implication is certainly not of one person doing it 'part time'.

Rick #243752 06/09/2011 11:47 AM
Does any of this explain why i was sent an email on 2nd June from UBB Licensing indicating that my licence had expired when in fact it still has 12 months to run??? Or was this simply a glitch? smile

Rick, on a personal level good luck to you and your family in your new life/home/job. It takes balls to stand up and walk away from something that has been part of your life for such a long time (i know of what i speak of from experience here), and at the end of the day the only person you are accountable to is yourself (+wife + kids smile )

I only ever seem to visit this site when i have an issue with my own forums, and have always ALWAYS had the best support from everyone on here. I fail to see how that will change unless the new owners p*ss off the long-timers and experts in this place. And whilst the new owners have been quiet in comming forward with more detail, you (all of you) should give them some time to settle in and get comfy.

I certainly do not intend on making a rash decision and jump ship to ANOTHER forum because of the UBB change of ownership. That would be foolish. I've invested my own time and money building up my niche corner of the universe, and quite franky dont want to have to go through it all again unless its a last resort. And we are not at that point yet, not by a long way.

Regards

Barry

Rick #243753 06/09/2011 11:50 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Barry, there was a glitch in the email notifications that went out for a couple days on expirations, since been fixed. And thanks for the kind words.

Rick #243768 06/09/2011 4:14 PM
Congrats Rick!

As a 10+ user of wwwthreads I still think its the best forum system around. If the new owners make it possible to get the modern update for it I will be ready for another 10 years.

Edit -- How do I get one of those fancy 10 year users?
My account in the member area is Oct 15th 2001 but I thought I used it even before then smile

Last edited by Flyin V; 06/09/2011 4:15 PM.
Rick #243772 06/09/2011 5:39 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
My Stuff > Edit profile > Group Images to display

If it's not there it will need to be activated by an admin.

driv #243773 06/09/2011 6:12 PM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by driv
If it's not there it will need to be activated by an admin.

Not there for me, I do have 10+ year, we just celibrated our 11th anniversery a month ago. Members area says 2003, but that's when we went from classic to threads.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Rick #243777 06/09/2011 6:45 PM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
We started using UBB classic back in 1999. That was a paid license. We've never used any other board. We had a crash in early 2000 and had to re-register nearly everyone, but still have posts dating back to 1999 on it. Not sure why we aren't considered 10+ years. We're going on 12 years.

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
www.justplainfolks.org
Rick #243778 06/09/2011 6:57 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
There is a topic in general discussion I believe where we had people requesting it. It was never really an official thing, just something I put up. Will get the option turned on for the 3 of you.

Rick #243779 06/09/2011 7:06 PM
M
mig Offline
M Offline
It actually works as a nice advertisement for the product, for potential buyers to see how long others have stayed with and have been dedicated to the platform and your hard work.

I haven't made 10 years... (yet!)

Rick #243781 06/09/2011 7:14 PM
K
K Offline
Does it matter if he still has other stuff to do? It's about the product, right? Can't hear my Customers complaining when they find out I actually don't just work for them.

Anyways, Rick, been using Classic since 2000, august, err... What's with that 10 year thing? Would love to bring a bit of ubb visibility to our little Forum!

Rick #243782 06/09/2011 7:24 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Turned on the option for you Kayjey, you should be able to turn it on in your profile now.

Rick #243790 06/09/2011 10:01 PM
A
A Offline
I just PM you Rick I am missing the 10 year as well. Good luck and I still love threads and will stick with it!

aus-city #243796 06/10/2011 9:33 AM
M
mag Offline
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
Good luck on your new undertaking, Rick.
It is nice to be associated with you throughout the years.
Take care. Have fun and enjoy the family. Life is too short.

PS: Our site has been with UBB since 1999 also and have a lifetime membership. Can we have that icon too?

Rick #243797 06/10/2011 10:02 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Thanks to both of you. You should be able to select the icon in your profile now.

Rick #243851 06/11/2011 8:38 PM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Still no icon in my profile that I can see.

When will the new owner be posting an update on Version 8?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
www.justplainfolks.org
Rick #243857 06/12/2011 5:42 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline

Rick #243859 06/12/2011 6:53 AM
addict
addict
Where do you get no version 8 out of that? I saw where he said that 7.X was going to be tweaked while they worked on ver8 which is not ready to be released yet.... I didn't see anywhere that was said that there would be no ver 8.

Dunny

Rick #243860 06/12/2011 7:19 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I didn't mean no version 8 ever. Just not on the horizon.
...and I suspect that horizon is a loooooooong way off.

Rick #243861 06/12/2011 7:27 AM
addict
addict
ahh I misunderstood your post smile apologies

Dunny

Rick #243862 06/12/2011 7:48 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
No worries mate, I wasn't as clear as I could have been. smile

tacks #243863 06/12/2011 8:53 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by tacks
Originally Posted by Bad Frog
Rick's involvement personal touch in customer service were a huge factor to my use and support of this product.

Good Luck Rick.

I strongly feel the same. He's been a big help for our forum. He owes us nothing -- quite the contrary.

I wish the best for Rick and his family.

Being a novice when it comes to database related forums I have found Rick a very helpful and reasonable when it comes to rates. I fear now that it might difficult if/when something happen to my forum and help/maintenance is required.

Thanks Rick for everything during the past years.
Morgan @ BritBike

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Morgan #243864 06/12/2011 9:59 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Morgan
Being a novice when it comes to database related forums I have found Rick a very helpful and reasonable when it comes to rates. I fear now that it might difficult if/when something happen to my forum and help/maintenance is required.

Thanks Rick for everything during the past years.
Morgan @ BritBike

I'll still be doing all of that type of stuff. Need to support my new brewing hobby somehow, so I'll still be around if ya need me smile

Rick #243875 06/12/2011 3:54 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Plus Morgan, there will always be those of us who can support you privately if you need it, and our rates aren't going anywhere tongue

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Rick #243883 06/12/2011 10:26 PM
JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for all the years of support Rick! I think you are honest and fair with people almost to a flaw. I hope the new owners are able to continue to improve UBB and wish them the best of luck. You won't see us jumping ship until there is a real problem. We run some of the largest forums serviced by UBB and the ship is sailing smoothly at this point in time.

I look forward to continuing to work with Rick as well!

Rick #243887 06/13/2011 1:51 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
You'd think many of the posters here had never experienced a change of ownership for any product before.

Crimony, people - it's a business decision! Rick doesn't owe UBB licensees the rest of his life. Every time I look at how much was paid for my lifetime license and how many years ago that was, I wonder how anyone makes money like that. You do realize the decision could have been to just shut it down, right?

If you think something else will serve you better, go buy it! If you think it will recoup its cost within a reasonable period of time over UBB, then go buy it! That's YOUR business decision to make.

But for God's sake, stop acting like you're owed anything. Nothing to see here - shut up and move on.

TxConx #243956 06/19/2011 11:46 AM
I will admit that I have been MIA for a lot of reasons over the past couple of years ... every now and then, I will sneak a peek over here.

After being away from home on business the past two weeks, I went into my control panel, and I saw the *news* about "new owner."

Rick, first, I wish you and your family nothing but the best in your move. You and the rest of the gang here (special shout-out to Gizzy & Allen) have been so patient with inexperienced code people such as myself! I appreciate all you've done, and I wish you nothing but the best.

Second, I'm also contemplating a big move ... and then I had hoped to be able to settle down and look at upgrading my board (I'm a little behind--using 7.3--I think) ... I'm holding out for version 8, too. smile

Third, my 10 year anniversary with some version of this community was 5.4.11 ... I'd love to be able to get that 10 year deal, too!

Best of luck, Rick. I'm awfully glad that you'll still be involved to some degree or another.

~Sue
adwoff.com

Rick #243960 06/19/2011 2:52 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
Some of you talk about 10 years using this product,
some of us like me has been using since back in the late 1990s, cannot even recall now what is it called back then and I hate to think over all those years how much money I paid in for yearly support and so called new versions coming.

We were told like almost 2 years ago that even if we did not buy support for like this year we'd still get version 8 and now looks like paying for last years support to only get a bug fix update that we will not get what we were told

It should never have been said that they understood the last people who left that version 8 was being done and hold our breath again and pay for another year of support when it looks like V8 is not much better being done then 2 years ago frown

Not happy at all.

JR
Team ZR-1 Corvette Racer's
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29