Discuss

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Looking forward to seeing movement again smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
journeyman
journeyman
I'm just ready for my license. I'm very close to having the money for it. Gotta do some more web design work for people first.

Love to hate, hate to love.
Cowards taste of death many times, heroes taste of death but once. ~William Shakespeare
stranger
stranger
Facebook connect and/or user blog would be nice, (Maybe?) tongue

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeah, I'd love to see some implementation of social logins (Facebook/Twitter primarily). If adding Twitter we could even integrate a twitter plugin to relay the users feed to their profile.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
SirDude, when will you update the 7.6 changelog thread so we have a look at what has been changed, updated, etc.?

Cowards taste of death many times, heroes taste of death but once. ~William Shakespeare
enthusiast
enthusiast
Please put API definition in the first priority.
Please DO NOT build-in any 3rd party login system.

With API , every 3rd party login system is possible.
Everyone can implement his/her FB/twitter login system.

I suggest define an OAuth-like authorization system.

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks SD for the update on changes. Looks promising with the search function.

I'm so relieved that SirDude is involved and to see where he's taking 7.6. It's looking like a super strong update. I can't wait to get my hands on it!!

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to start posting where we're headed.

It really takes a lot of just offline brain games for me allow things to settle..

THEN it takes time to distill my thoughts into a cogent post or two or three laugh

for all you people who've asked for beta access, i haven't forgotten you either.

i just want to find the best way to do it.

for example: there are certain features that when done, might even be released HERE / LIVE for everyone to see / play with.

i know for certain, that the search feature as installed here is broken ( try advanced search and see laugh )

so i see no reason to _NOT_ both fix it and release the new version here..

so in a way, you are all guinea pigs for certain features as they are deemed solid...

wink

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sirdude
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to start posting where we're headed.

It really takes a lot of just offline brain games for me allow things to settle..

THEN it takes time to distill my thoughts into a cogent post or two or three laugh

for all you people who've asked for beta access, i haven't forgotten you either.

i just want to find the best way to do it.

for example: there are certain features that when done, might even be released HERE / LIVE for everyone to see / play with.

i know for certain, that the search feature as installed here is broken ( try advanced search and see laugh )

so i see no reason to _NOT_ both fix it and release the new version here..

so in a way, you are all guinea pigs for certain features as they are deemed solid...

wink

Will there be a like feature in 7.6 that will allow users to like a post?

journeyman
journeyman
Man oh man, if I could like a post SD your last 2 change posts would be liked.

Addict
Addict
The ship has a rudder.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
journeyman
journeyman
LOL that it does.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Man, reading this just made my day. Glad to see so many of our suggestions incorporated.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Something that jumped off the list at me: Adding users to an existing private topic opens a wide gamut of privacy concerns.

I would never ever post to or even read a private topic if I knew that another person could be added afterwards.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
Something that jumped off the list at me: Adding users to an existing private topic opens a wide gamut of privacy concerns.

I would never ever post to or even read a private topic if I knew that another person could be added afterwards.

I agree 100%, the only way I would think of liking it is if only the person who created the topic can add, a notification in the pm was made that xxxx was added, and the newly added cannot look back through the topic.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
by the time 7.7 feature set is solid, this can probably be decided to add or discard.

i was spitballing, based upon requests for it in the past.

so, i guess there needs to be back/forth on the issue, which is fine with me wink

_NOT_ adding it is much easier anyway laugh

edit: i can think of a case that would not present an issue. person creates a PM.. adds 5 users to it.. hits send...

then does a face palm and wants to make it 6 users.. he's screwed.. so there are times when it would be desireable. and not broach any privacy concerns

Addict
Addict
Another "NO" vote for "adds" to private threads.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
edit: i can think of a case that would not present an issue. person creates a PM.. adds 5 users to it.. hits send...

then does a face palm and wants to make it 6 users.. he's screwed.. so there are times when it would be desireable. and not broach any privacy concerns

Delete, start over. You're adding features to make life easier, not to predict and make up for human fallibility. smile

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd like to see it added, however only the original author can add to it... Perhaps add a check to see how many posts are in the topic and if more than a few it won't allow?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
well -- we won't visit it until 7.7, so maybe we're beating a currently dead horse anyway

we're adding other things to 7.6 as well wink

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
I would certainly welcome finer grained control of the sidebars but I understand that might be a fairly large request.

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
As far as sidebars I would like to see perms applied for reg and guest to at least active topics and posts. Some communities want people to be registered before displaying certain forums. The active topics and posts ignore perms and there for become useless for sites that need that.

addict
addict
I definately agree that I don't think I like the add a person to a private topic, but I really do like the idea of what gliderdad has said there. It is a pita for me if I want to use that because half of my forums are restricted to all but about 10 people. So I can't really use the active topic discussion one..

Dunny

addict
addict

Delete, start over. You're adding features to make life easier, not to predict and make up for human fallibility. smile

Personally, I find the ability to add people very handy at times. You shouldn't be discussing things with someone anyway if you think there is a possibility that person might add the name of someone you're gabbing about. In my opinion it should be left, but changed so that you can disable or enable it to your own likes. Why take something away that another uses all the time? I used it quite frequently to discuss different ideas of what I want to do with the forums and only want a certain few to know about it in the early stages. Much easier than created yet another "admin" or "moderator" type group for only a couple of people. Just my 2 cents worth.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
addict
addict
Exactly. Do not have it so anyone in the conversation can add as that could result in some embarrassing moments.

Tombstone, AZ
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
lol -- well i reiterate

we won't do anything until 7.7 on this anyway wink

N
Naz Offline
N Offline
Forums:

A forum can be created that is a LINK forum.

This means that there is no real content inside that forum, but the forum name serves to link to whatever URL has been defined.

Additionally, prior to actually taking the user to the destination, a hit is logged to the DB to count 'redirects' for forum display ( cfrm ) purposes

If I understand you correctly Sirdude, when you click on the defined URL it will take you to that forum page containing the defined website, a kind of implementation of a browser engine which allows you to display the URL within the forum post. If not then could this be something that could be added to your 7.6 list.......

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
K
K Offline
"Searching will allow by topic only or by body only, but not both"

>> Don't see the real reason. If it's speed-related then why not add as info "this will cause a slow search"

"since people rarely change the subject or the posting icon"

>> Indeed, we even edit that feature out. Would it be possible to make these items optional? Also as standard, even when removing ALL icons from the CP, you always have the option of a blank or the book.gif. It'd be nice to actually be able to limit to one single icon (and then not show the choice). (It's just we don't want a christmas tree forum.)

Oh and... good luck executing those plans in the time frame you've set yourselves. I would be extremely impressed.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I would love the opportunity to disable .sigs for newbies, at least until they've had a certain number of posts. Then at least the spammers will have to post actual spam in their posts, not secretly in their .sigs.

- Allen
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
I would love the opportunity to disable .sigs for newbies, at least until they've had a certain number of posts. Then at least the spammers will have to post actual spam in their posts, not secretly in their .sigs.

That is possible already.

With site permissions you can set the maximum length of the signature, and you can upgrade them to a group when they reach a certain amount of posts that allows a signature.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
SD, a few things on the SEO topic which I'm sure you have on your list but I'm going to repeat them anyways are the use of rel canonical tags and missing meta descriptions. I'm not sure how to handle the later on multiple pages. Might need to see how the other modern boards handle this.

I also think that trying to mod_rewrite the urls so they are shorter, maybe sans the ubbthreads.php/topics would be wise too, as a lot of attention is going into shorter semantic urls.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"Previous Management" (ala Groupee) deemed that it had to stay "ubbthreads.php" for "brand awareness"... I'm not sure how current ownership feels about that however...

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
I'm not sure what the right answer to this is, but I'd like to be able to drilldown pages by forum in GA. Since the forum is neither in either the title or url it's not possible to do this.

I think adding a GA section in the admin would be nice. I believe one way of doing this is with custom variables. You could have the variable change by forum. You could also have a variable for logged in and logged out. Then do all the analysis with custom segments.

I know this seems like a lot of hokus pokus but the reality is for a large forum with a lot of different traffic sources these analysis can be useful.

Maybe I can do this as a plugin. SD?

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
I've created a small hack to do what I described above. I'll post a link to a tutorial tonight.

Sysop
Sysop
I don't think the "ubbthreads.php" is needed....

Last edited by UBBSystems; 08/29/2011 9:48 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by UBBSystems
I don't think the "ubbthreads.php" is needed....

Would be great to have ubbthreads.php eliminated so please oh please Sirdude, eliminate it from the address.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
well, it will probably have to be optioned

some peeps love their perceived SEO, based upon pre-crawled uri's

soooooo... i'm all for hiding it ala the way wordpress and MANY sites now do.. but there may be those who want to hold on to the old way for dear life too

laugh

Sysop
Sysop
agreeed,we can't have any bad URL's as a result.... not a real priority as this point...

Last edited by UBBSystems; 08/30/2011 6:08 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
well, it will probably have to be optioned

some peeps love their perceived SEO, based upon pre-crawled uri's

soooooo... i'm all for hiding it ala the way wordpress and MANY sites now do.. but there may be those who want to hold on to the old way for dear life too

laugh

Option works for me. My site is brand new and not launched yet so no crawling yet. Therefore I would love to start it off without ubbthreads.php in the address.

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
My users are all going nuts because they can't embed images in a reply to a gallery forum. As far as I can tell this just isn't possible.
Any chance a small feature like this could be squeezed into the 7.6?

Thank you!

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Another small change that would be nice is the query parameter in a site search being passed in the url so that can be tracked in GA.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Ok sorry I have another. It would be great if all posted links that were internal had the "nofollow" removed.

R
R Offline
Originally Posted by gliderdad

I agree 100%, the only way I would think of liking it is if only the person who created the topic can add, a notification in the pm was made that xxxx was added, and the newly added cannot look back through the topic.

We add people to PM's roughly three times a month as a matter of course - but only as an admin function which cannot be executed except by exactly two admins, which is to say not all admins can do it.

We only add them if everyone in the PM agrees and the PM starter requests it.

To give you some idea of our traffic so you can compare the requests to busy, we average about 450 - 500 posts a day. PM count is roughly 20 - 30 percent of our post count. This is our off season - it will start picking up now and will likely peak in February at around 1,500 posts a day.

For whatever it is worth, we compartmentalize what an Admin can do by using MySQL Workbench and only issuing scripts to who we want to have scripts. Only one person is allowed to write new scripts and only two have them all, for control and security purposes.

I would think that Sir Dude and Gizmo know exactly what I am talking about.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

LOVE the list, SD - thanks!!

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
journeyman
journeyman
Not sure if others would thing this would be useful or not.

I am spending more time on Facebook these days because of business stuff, the one feature that I miss when I am posting on my forum is the "Tag" feature. On FB when I want so make sure a person sees the post I "Tag" their name in the post. I find myself on the forum wishing that feature was there. I see quite often on the forum, "I hope or I am sure XXXX will see this and respond" If there was a way we could link their user name and they they could get some type of notification that they were mentioned in the post and a Link to it, I think that would be great.

M
mig Offline
M Offline
Terrific to find all of this activity.

Glad you are holding off for later discussion re:'adding users to existing PMs'. As many times as I've done the face palm, imo privacy concerns win, err, unless the newly invited could only read going forward. (Could be useful for admins only?)

7.6 list looks exciting and ambitious! Thanks SD et al!
mig

I love all the new enthusiasm and input its great to read so much activity well.

With regard to adding members in a running private message my input would be the follow using recent experiences.

ive had several world wars coming from private messages as i have a policy of not getting involved with them and private is private.

The mentality of members is really unbelievable they want to kill each other and tell she said he said.

Ive worked really hard over the years enforcing that private is private. And i can just see a group of members starting a private message about a member then a few months down the line inviting the person they have been talking about and then world war.

If you can protect the malicious side of it then it could work but for my self there is probably more hassel with adding members in a existing private message.

I would like to see a Grouping option for contacting moderators because what's great about private messages is that you can see who's read them.

just my feed back
because good members dont need policing only the bad.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
A
AVC Offline
stranger
stranger
A Offline
This is great news (the sale of UBB into stronger hands) and the appointment of new developers and programmers.

It would be great if UBB would produce and update the list of current programmers working on the script with their official titles for the members to reference.

This would be good for developers and users alike since customers would have a list of coders to PM when they have questions.

Last edited by AVC; 09/17/2011 4:26 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
RE: Like

Are we planning to use a FB integration at some point? If so, will we have the option to utilize the internal version vs a Facebook version? Or is the internal version using Facebook?

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
this internal version is just counting UBB likes or you could even rename it to Thanks..

FB is a separate thing

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thank you for the "likes" smile When displaying the like: x in the profile, can the number link to the posts likes were given/rec'd?

- Allen
JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
This may have been discussed, but I think a lot more people would use the FB "like" function if it didn't record and display them on the topic. Most people on forums like to remain anonymous.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
is there a way to anonymously Like to FB with no account?

i don't get the idea..

expand further

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
When you click the "Like" icon in a post, it leaves the person's name with a link to their FB page next to the FB icon.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
ok, so it is just another type of FB Like option. i see what you mean.

there are different types of buttons where it could be anonymous, so i'll look @ it.

it will _still_ register with FB, but won't show in the forums that you specifically liked it..

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, the FB like "links" to the user no matter what, it's not anonymous. You could just have it not show their picture however and it'd "Seem" anonymous...

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
it can be made to show differently in UBB however. the current one we have is optioned to show a link to those who recently liked it upto a limit..

versus just showing a total like count only.

so it would be 'anonymous' that way

regardless of what i do here, the like and tweet ( and plus one ) buttons will _NOT_ show for any forum that isn't GUEST readable.

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
versus just showing a total like count only.

Just showing a "Like" count would be perfect.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
RE: Portal Enhancement

Would like to see this come to the normal forum pages versus just the main portal page (or maybe have a separate section for just the forum side of things).

Originally Posted by Gizmo

Would like to see this come to the normal forum pages versus just the main portal page (or maybe have a separate section for just the forum side of things).

+1 here.
I know SD stated there needs to be more addressed on islands and this is just a stepping stone.
But don't get me started on more options for placement of islands nor custom islands per forum.
I have been on that soap box for years.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer

expand on this please.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ok, I want forum stats above the forum list; so i'd select "above forum" (or something) and that island would show above the forum content (below would do similar)...

The item was posted as:
With custom islands, you can pull in Rss feeds, Popular topics, have a wide shoutbox only on the portal...
So we take that to mean only in the portal page interface.
Not in the forum pages. Something such as the ad content option does now.

Blue Man Group
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
Ok, I want forum stats above the forum list; so i'd select "above forum" (or something) and that island would show above the forum content (below would do similar)...

you mean ubb=cfrm?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
ultimately... alternative templates too at some point

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
we're talking about 7.6, however in this thread.. i don't see this happening for this release

just use community introduction for that for the short term.

R
R Offline

I just went through (again) the change log updates. Hat tip SirDude. smile

Happy Holidays all!

Larry

How about in the user profile there could be a text area (like an expanded comments area) for the user to add in a mini-commentary, review, feature, picture of their dog... whatever. Kind of a "blogging junior" approach. It would adhere to the forums settings.

Once completed, users could post their "blog" alert in a shout box format, or as part of their user info in a post.

From the admin side, there could be predetermined categories for "Whats New" items, such as commentaries, reviews, etc. Any posting could be monitored with an alert like the current notify button. Whats New could have the option for admins to approve before posting.

This capability would further tie users into the community, provide constant news input, and provide an interim blogging capability.

guod@simhq [dot] com

twitter.com/SimHQ
youtube.com/SimHQcom
livestream.com/SimHQ
M
M Offline
Absolutely loving the 7.6 updates so far!

Re: Calendar Events

Would it be possible to include locale specific date and time with calendar events? My site includes a lot of live streaming events and it would be very helpful to our international audience to know exactly when they need to tune in their time.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
you can do that quite easily with a custom ubb code tag in your event description for now. even in 7.5.6 wink

the calendar / event overhaul is planned for 7.7+

M
M Offline
Not quite sure I follow how a custom ubb code tag fills this gap?

I contributed an Events Island a couple of years ago which pulls upcoming calendar events and displays them neatly in an island. When the date of the event is "today", it gets highlighted in the island.

The issue with this is two fold:

1. Each event is considered an "all day event"
  2. The date of this event is wrt the server date/time. Unless users happen to live in the same timezone as the server, then this is always "wrong" for them.

So when my users in the US see an event in Tokyo that occurs in the evening of Dec 23, by the time this event is highlighted in the island for them, the event is already over.

By having start/end date and times in the events table, I can accurately query, display and highlight events for users worldwide, wrt to their locale.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
you would have javascript tweak the custom island ( manipulate the DOM ) after the fact based upon getTimezoneOffset ( user browser supplied ). note, you'll have jQuery loaded by the board, so all the $('select me') goodness will be there laugh

i misunderstood that you had a precompiled CI, but the idea still translates ( i think )

you may have to modify the event island to not be so specific (ie: just do it in GMT), if you have offsets over 12hrs different. that way 'today' would be easier to modify based upon who's browsing. then the jQuery would do it's magic

smile

Anyway.. we won't be doing anything with calendar ( major ) until a later release wink

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
This may have already been discussed ... there are so many pages to read through, I could have missed it.

Has there been any discussion of a search feature for PMs? As an admin, I would like to be able to search my PMs by name and even a title or post content search.

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
>>> https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...e_New_Features_Bug_Fixes_for_#Post247522

I'm tired of the teasing. Starting to feel like I'm sitting at the bar waiting for the bartender to serve me the most amazing beer I've ever tasted. Mr. Bartender spent 30 minutes explaining how wonderful the beer is. I finally tell him, "Dude, pour the damn beer please."

grin

There have been some back steps over the last two years.
But this time it looks like we are making progress.
Of course like the say:
The proof is in the pudding.

Blue Man Group
Journeyman
Journeyman
Whooho back on a roll, I am thinking of pulling up my old website again and launching my board games in the future.

journeyman
journeyman
I would rather have it right on release than to have to go do several updates to fix things.

I have the "Like" feature installed on my forum. So far the response has been good except for the original placement of the "Like" button. It isn't a full FB Like with the linking and that is fine with me. This is just a little bump, hey I like your post.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
yes, and the modified placement was done according to the feedback from your board as well, Val

ty smile

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
What is/are the difference(s) in 7.5.6 p1 and p2?

-Tim
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Just another fix/change to further secure things a bit more.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
In short, P1 isn't going to stop you from being hacked; P2 will...

Captcha change:
The angles used to distort the letters were also relaxed a bit from some of the extremes that were in there before.

Thank Youuu!
I have always had problems reading it. Especially with the rough gradient background.
In fact I had contemplated changing the ttf file and make backgound1 and 2 both be the smooth one.

Blue Man Group
Permissions:
Extra treat
Specifically for gallery forums.

If polls are allowed in replies ( by group, forum ), then allow a poll.
If polls are allowed in topics ( by group, forum ), then allow a poll in the topic.
I have always harped on this feature that if we have permissions for same we should be able to do so in a gallery forum.
It was always confusing that the standard permissions apply to the forum but they did not work if you elected the one time option to be a gallery forum.
Now with that said I hope we could also undo the new allowed permissions in a gallery forum if need be.

Nice surprise!

Blue Man Group
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
Now with that said I hope we could also undo the new allowed permissions in a gallery forum if need be.

Nice surprise!

of course you can. just edit the forum permissions to NOT allow polls, which is how it should have been all along wink

Ooooh!!!
Keep going Bucko.

Of course sooner or later you will need to say that is enough for this version release. wink

Blue Man Group
JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Looking good!

Approve topics option added where needed:

Wow I thought this might have been a difficult item to deal with between topics and replies.

Thanks for the recognition.

I thought this might have been put on the back burner with so many other items to deal with.

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
sorry if this is a repeat question (i get confused with the various versions and threads...)

just wondering if 7.6 is going to be iphone / mobile-friendly?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by drkknght00
sorry if this is a repeat question (i get confused with the various versions and threads...)
Nothing more than 7.5 thus far

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer

iphone / android / mobile -- is in 7.7

D
D Offline
gotcha - i'll stay patient smile

K
K Offline
Selecting a reply icon is allowed. why prevent it?

I manually disabled anything else than the 'book' icon, even got rid of the always selectable 'empty' icon. I hate it when the forum turns into a christmas tree. But I presume that will be covered. People can choose the icon, but the admin will be able to choose WHICH are available.

Really must say I'm looking forward to the release SD. Great work judging from those posts you're doing!

R
R Offline

Having become used to frequent updates by SD, I notice that it has been since the 9th that something has been posted. Just saying.

Larry

R
R Offline

While I am sitting here contemplating my naval, I have this stray thought on the subject of AJAX. If anyone has the time to really explain AJAX, I would appreciate it. From what I have read here and there, it would seem to have a positive and measurable impact on bandwidth and server load. That would be really good news.

Larry

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer

R
R Offline

Thanks, I read that before and just got more confused.

Larry

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
to make it more confusing, we use AJAH wink

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
LOL, now if we could see how many hits google gets for AJAH!!

R
R Offline
frown crazy onoes

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I was all "American Journal of Ancient History?"

addict
addict
I am just wondering when SD is going to stop teasing all of us! tongue

I had to get my joke in for the month smile

Dunny

I don't know, I keep telling him that sooner or later he needs to stop. But he keeps plugging on with changes.
But I think we are nearing the end of the road for this update.

Blue Man Group
Originally Posted by SD

iphone / android / mobile -- is in 7.7

or.... laugh

guod@simhq [dot] com

twitter.com/SimHQ
youtube.com/SimHQcom
livestream.com/SimHQ
R
R Offline
I don't know, I keep telling him that sooner or later he needs to stop. But he keeps plugging on with changes.
But I think we are nearing the end of the road for this update.

I hope so Ruben. I am excited about all the changes I see. I want them, I want them smile

Larry

old hand
old hand
Please, any ETA?

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yeah, um... anything? wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
addict
addict
DOA?????

Tombstone, AZ
journeyman
journeyman
Still alive, SD has a job that he comes first. I'm not renewing until SD releases an announcement for the new version. But can't wait for 7.6 and can't wait see the changes in action.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
So what is the time frame for 7.7 then?

Auckland, New Zealand

http://www2.everybody.co.nz/forum/
facepalm

JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by adminwendy
Is there any specific feature you're looking for? AFAIK a timeline hasn't been drawn up and I fail to see the reason to want another version just to have another version...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by adminwendy
Is there any specific feature you're looking for? AFAIK a timeline hasn't been drawn up and I fail to see the reason to want another version just to have another version...

Mobile friendly (iphone/android/WP7) templates based on user-agent would be nice or at least TapaTalk compatible. Also mentioned, Ajax. And more version numbers. We always want more version numbers whistle

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
and we really will be coming out with a 7.5.8 first.

this enhances the stopforumspam to use a fall back DB, when needed and other things like not forcing using fsockopen, when php is configured to not allow it etc..

also all the little buglets that have been noted in 7.5.7 will be cleaned..

and a few other things..

so we are kind of borrowing 7.6 features and pulling some of them into the incremental releases for now.

no time frame, but it shouldn't be a long way off..

another thing with incremental releases is that they can be counted on to not suddenly break, vs a HUGE increment which has a lot of growing pains.

matter of fact, this should have been what we were doing all along.

to NOT promise v8 or even v7.6, but to slowly improve in small / key areas...

my bad on that one smile

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Exactly what ID242 said, and a post before my question...

Q. just wondering if 7.6 is going to be iphone / mobile-friendly?

A. iphone / android / mobile -- is in 7.7

Mobile version or TapaTalk compatible is really important to us.

Auckland, New Zealand

http://www2.everybody.co.nz/forum/
Well I think that it has been stated already that the mobile theme would not even make it till after v7.6 and it would probably be tapatalk.

Blue Man Group
A
A Offline
A side note.

Thank you to SD for re-engaging here on the forums. It really does help a lot to hear that things are moving. They may be small incremental items but progress none the less.

Looking forward to 7.6 because that will truly reflect all your cleaned and optimized code. Not looking forward to the "growing pains" of a new code base and the associated table changes. Oh well the price of progress I suppose.

Abbott

Ive just read over the Topic Version 7.6 Change log as i forgot what was on the cards. WoW some nice features on there way SD good work there by far.

Keep up the good work your input is appreciated smile

* Scrap the Rate this Member ??
Change it to Likes only, you can only + a User that's a revamp of the old Rating system coming to (Kudos) for members. The Rate this member can go down which no one likes. lol no one likes.

Great Work SD its so appreciated.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
addict
addict
All I say is I hope UBB v8 is better than Windows 8....LOL!!!! I've been holding off upgrading my site until I see what v8 looks like.

Tombstone, AZ
old hand
old hand
HOWEVER windows 8 did arrive.

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am starting to hear that quote in my head when I make my once a month visit to see if there is any progress.

"What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
I just got off the phone with SirDude. My confidence in UBB has been fully restored. I think the owner would gain a lot of PR and sales value if he would jump in here once a month at least and say hello, but that is neither here nor there.

Guess I'll be sticking around for another 10 or 12 years. Do I get a medal when I hit the 25 year mark?

J.P. Greeson
Satisfied UBB customer since 2000.

Addict
Addict
What was said that restored your confidence?
Originally Posted by JPG
I just got off the phone with SirDude. My confidence in UBB has been fully restored. I think the owner would gain a lot of PR and sales value if he would jump in here once a month at least and say hello, but that is neither here nor there.

Guess I'll be sticking around for another 10 or 12 years. Do I get a medal when I hit the 25 year mark?

J.P. Greeson
Satisfied UBB customer since 2000.

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
I feel like they are going to stick with it and that's really all I needed to know. One or two upgrades a year and I am happy. Hopefully something Tapatalk not too far down the road, but really, our forums don't look too bad on iPhone and look great in iPad.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well I think that it has been stated already that the mobile theme would not even make it till after v7.6 and it would probably be tapatalk.

I use the Forum Runner app for several sites I participate in, a hook into that would be nice.

- Allen
old hand
old hand
is there ANY UPDATE or hope for development, or release of what just needs to have an installer?

I can tell you when the last update was 09/24/11 08:22 AM that's what my control panel tells me.

But the next update ive no idea.

Any Updates please ?

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Addict
Addict
What really bothers me is that nobody is even taking the time to respond to these posts.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Daryl Fawcett
What really bothers me is that nobody is even taking the time to respond to these posts.
Evidently, they see no need to respond since we are nothing but a small segment of the customer base and thus of no consequence. Any noise that is made here falls on deaf ears beyond us peons.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Sysop
Sysop
The next update will address a much needed mobile theme, SEO tweaks, additional spam deterrents as well as some bug fixes.

thanks!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for finally communicating to us who are more than anxious to learn what is going on with UBBThreads. However, not knowing that "SEO tweaks" is referring to, what I see as missing is all the lauded front end improvements and additions which have been posted here many months ago and which most of us here have expected long before now since the last report we got was that all was finished except for the "Installer".

Dangling carrots lose their appeal after awhile and certainly don't equal a full meal.

Can you give us a tentative timeline for the mentioned update, e.g., 1 month, 2 months, etc., barring any problems, which are certainly understandable?

Thanks!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
6 more months and nothing.

-Tim
Periodic updates are appreciated! Many of us are just hanging in limbo. We are loyal but understandably skeptical.

JetStar
www.the-kgb.com
The Knights of Glory and Beer
Established 1997
Z
stranger
stranger
Z Offline
Mobile friendly (iphone/android/WP7) templates based on user-agent would be nice or at least TapaTalk compatible. Also mentioned, Ajax. And more version numbers. We always want more version numbers whistle

old hand
old hand
The next update will address a much needed mobile theme, SEO tweaks, additional spam deterrents as well as some bug fixes.

thanks!

Any update on a date for the next release? Thanks.

Wow This Discussion began Aug 14 2011

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/253918/Re_New_UBB_site_layout#Post253918

release due out to fix 5.4 tomorrow.... working on the drop downs now...

Feature List : Like to see.
Bugs Fixed Like to see.

smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
old hand
old hand
nice new logo...

Stan you have made my day ?
And i mean the following in good humour.

For ever and a day you have been under pressure from the powers to be when is the next update?
You asked and seen deadlines come and go. With a comment of a new release imminent (Next 24hrs).
You release all your pressure and worries and stress with the following comment.

Originally Posted by Stan
nice new logo...

Its only because i know your history and frustrations its funny.
All in good taste.

I would also like to add Nice New Avatar Ubb Systems.

Happy Days.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
old hand
old hand
THANKS MARK!

I had a great party of celebration for the 5th Year Anniversary of the announcement of the next version.

HOWEVER turns out I was the only one left to celebrate that magnificent historical event.

The Ghost of users past, may have removed that post celebrating this.

Sysop
Sysop
7.58 due out next week as there were some additional issues to make it work with PHP 5.5.

7.6 will have the new mobile theme, December.

old hand
old hand
great!!!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Brooks, are we still planning on trying to get something working with Tapatalk? I think this is a much needed feature since even the freebies offer it at this point...

addict
addict
After a quick look through, all I'm really seeing is a bunch of fluff. A new theme is about all. Not impressed.

Tombstone, AZ
Brooks, are we still planning on trying to get something working with Tapatalk? I think this is a much needed feature since even the freebies offer it at this point...

I Agree with you on that one ! smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by GregK
After a quick look through, all I'm really seeing is a bunch of fluff. A new theme is about all. Not impressed.
I'd love to see some sort of public changelog, something we could sink our teeth into while we wait...

Sysop
Sysop

we are going with a responsive mobile CSS using twitter bootstrap...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm sad to hear that's the route we're going; IMHO Tapatalk would have been a better alternative by way of allowing sites to be integrated into mobile devices by ultimately making their site an app on a users phone/tablet through the Tapatalk program.

twitter bootstrap ?
I've not heard of that one, ive just Googled it and it doesn't give too much away.

Am i correct in thinking if it was tapatalk the configuring is on the phone.
And with Bootstrap its all in the CSS which ultimately falls to us to configure and tweak.

How will Stan cope ?

http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/

Can you not make it both if there are equal arguments for both types Boostrap & TapaTalk ?

The Update : TapaTalk Update

"As soon as 7.6 is out, we will be developing the Tapatalk mobile interface which should not take long at all."

Last edited by Mark S; 11/04/2013 4:44 AM.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
I researched this myself a small bit.

It used to be called Twitter blueprint.
Developed by Twitter

From what I can tell tapatalk was developed only for mobile themes.

Where bootstrap is more of a web site/apps deployment framework.
Meaning it is a glorified style editor which can be used to deploy mobile themes as well as normal ones, and other apps.

Now which is more time intensive to deploy???

Blue Man Group
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Mark S
twitter bootstrap ?
I've not heard of that one, ive just Googled it and it doesn't give too much away.

I think of it as a glorified 960gs - if you remember that.

Bootstrap and its variations are everywhere now, esp. if you are a Joomla user.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
From 7/10/2013:
From 11/03/2013:
7.58 due out next week as there were some additional issues to make it work with PHP 5.5.
7.6 will have the new mobile theme, December.
I'm curious. When you wrote, "next week," did you mean the "week of Nov 03-09, 2013" or "week of Nov 10-16, 2013" ?

And also, when you wrote, "next update," did you mean the "next update of 7.58" or "next next update of 7.6" ?

---

From 08/02/2011 @ https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/244747
and https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/244912
and https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/246581
We are excited to announce that we are moving forward with UBB.threads and are planning to release version 7.6 in the next 6-8 weeks.
As expected, I am excited and look forward to updates (any updates), but at the same time, I am a confused as to why things are announced without any follow-through or even just a simple revised announcement when things will be delayed.

Communication is key. It's simple to do. Even if its just adding strike-through to a previous announcement and a small blurb of updated text following it... Just something, anything, to let current and potential license buyers know that the ubb.threads PHP software should still be considered when choosing what forum software to run.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
journeyman
journeyman
Will 7.6 or 8.0 include any API features say for checking for changes if I use my forum for modification releases and have a license system an API could allow me to let those using my mods see the latest release without loading my site.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's a pretty big let down right there. Tapatalk is the de facto standard on droid devices. Guess which mobile platform has the biggest market share right now. Droid.

-Tim
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Cuervo
That's a pretty big let down right there. Tapatalk is the de facto standard on droid devices. Guess which mobile platform has the biggest market share right now. Droid.

Droid, as in Verizon Wireless? "Droid" is a brand name used by Verizon to describe their brand of Google Android-based cell phones.
Tapatalk works on devices other than Verizon Wireless branded Android-based devices.

Reasons why TapaTalk is not the best path to choose:
You may think that Tapatalk my be a defacto standard, but for an owner who has come to depend on income from his forums; Tapatalk provides no website monetization abilities such as AdSense, VibrantMedia, DoubleClick...etc.

If you have a forum that gets a lot of organic referrals, pushing a third-party app ("This forum has an app for Android/iOS. Click OK to learn more about Tapatalk") in to the user's face before they know anything about your site, makes for an incredibly bad first impression. It ranks right up there with the, "Please take a survey to improve our site" and the, "Hello, my name is AMERICAN-NAME, how can I help you today?" pop-ups that you get at support sites within three seconds of loading their first page.

UBBSystems has the right idea here. Follow current web standards and create a responsive mobile website. One that you will have complete control over it's look, feel, and up-time. It's beyond me as to why anyone would rely on a single unknown third-party developer to build a stable and fully functional app that you have zero control over is release schedule or functionality. If they release a buggy app version and don't fix it for a few days/months, there is nothing you can do except tell your users to wait for a fix... and who knows when that fix will arrive? On iOS, users cannot roll back to a previous version. On Android, it's not imposable, but not simple for non-techie users. That's like putting your eggs in someone else's basket.

And what about users of FirefoxMobile or WinPhone7/8 or Ubuntu Mobile OS or other small screen OS's? They'll get left out and probably will instead browse your competitor's website because it provides a better user experience for them -- probably one that utilizes a responsive design smile

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm talking from a user perspective and most users don't really care if you are making money from your website.

I guess I should have said android based phones.

-Tim
old hand
old hand
OK, please, a few words of updated material would go over well right now.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Personally, I use Tapatalk Pro on my phone and tablet and would still (as both a developer and a multiple site owner (8 licenses)) like to see a Tapatalk interface at some point :/.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I used to think that tapatalk was the way forward, however having a responsive layout for both desktop, tablets and mobiles in the way forward without a doubt.

On some of my sites, I am now designing a responsive layout - much easier when you can fully control things.

I do not really want a third party site having control of my site.

old hand
old hand
The folks who wrote the song, Silence is Golden, were wrong.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
He didn't specify which December smile

- Allen
old hand
old hand
OK, who moved the carrot and where is it at now.

Sounds like somebody has read
Who Moved My Cheese.
Great book.

Blue Man Group
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
He might have better quoted Clara Peller who said, "Where's the Beef?". [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

Addict
Addict
When will this ever happen?

A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Tapatalk , responsive mobile website or whatever we need to go mobile !
is a big step but looks like we are way overdue frown

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
They backtracked, current word is we're not getting Tapatalk but are instead getting a mobile interface because we "can't control the tapatalk ads"; which is retarded since their interface is beautiful and my tapatalk client doesn't even show ad's...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It took about a year to pass, before anyone from UBBT mentioned anything about a switch to /not/ supporting Tapatalk. And even then, it wasn't directly from a UBBT staffer/owner, it was from a forum moderator. Thank you, Giz. It was much appreciated for that update smile

Re: Tapatalk has Ads?
I guess so...
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/18kc2g/ads_now_showing_up_in_tapatalk_a_299_app/
and @ https://www.google.com/search?q=tapatalk+ads

Although I have paid TWICE for Tapatalk (phone & a tablet UI versions, pre-Tapatalk 4.x), I have yet to see any ads in these paid versions. But if there is a free generic version (is there such a thing?) I would already assume that there would be ads in it. That seems to be one of the few models being shuffled around through mobile app devs these days. At least it is not an IAP for a "per/post read" model grin

I really wish there was more direct communication from the UBBT software owner/devs. As it stands, the impression given is that all UBBT changes/additions are done according to the direction the wind seems to be blowing at the moment. Features talked about month after month after month (years, mostly) pass and nothing ever gets done. Bugs present themselves, but not a single response from an UBBT owner/developer of a fix -- or that the bug is even acknowledged.

A simple, "Thanks" or "expect this to be fixed in the next release" or even a, "file a [paid] support ticket @ blahlbah-URL-blah" would be nice. It would also work wonders for moral in the user support forums around here. The only thing I desire here, is for those who are running this show, to invest a few minutes a week in to the customers who pay your bills.

You're charging premium rates for the software, but for the past several years, have been delivering sub-par effort in maintaining that product.

Am I out-of-line for asking this much?

Last edited by id242; 04/06/2014 11:20 AM.

H
H Offline
What would Tapatalk actually do for a forum...? I'm not sure what this product is.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by id242
It took about a year to pass, before anyone from UBBT mentioned anything about a switch to /not/ supporting Tapatalk. And even then, it wasn't directly from a UBBT staffer/owner, it was from a forum moderator. Thank you, Giz. It was much appreciated for that update smile
:snicker: should more say "volunteer" as we moderators are simply users of the product who where on the initial beta team.

There was an official comment around here somewhere on Tapatalk; I'm simply "relaying old news" so to speak.

Tapatalk is a program for android devices which allows forums (such as vBulletin, PHPBB, IPB (which support it)) to effectively be an "app" on someones Android device (Phone/Tablet). Your forum would be the application a user utilizes. I have 8-10 sites I use Tapatalk4 to post on (mainly android related forums such as Cyanogenmod).

It's pretty nifty, you have notifications sent to your device when something on your watchlist is replied to, you can post and read from the app, pretty much anything you can do "in a browser" you can do through tapatalk.

Plus it supports other forums and has a listing of forums that support it; so say you wanted to go off and use another forum you could, and you can just click a couple of options and you're right back to your site. Their DB of sites is pretty large at this point as well.

You can read more than I could ever do justice here.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Found it, it's actually in this thread, direct link:

I wish such decisions where still "per user request" like with previous administrations; or at the very least "per license holder request" (though since I own 8 licenses I wonder if I'd be allowed multiple votes, lol).

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd just like to state for the record, control of the ad's was supposidly why we're not getting Tapatalk, but their "Build Your Own" page (clicky) specifically states:
Build your own forum app with personalized app icon, look and feel, branding, plus additional features including Google AdSense, Google Analytics, Admob, DoubleClick for Publisher, iAd, Push Notifications and more - 100% under your own brand with full control!

So it looks like we would, in fact, get control over ad's on our sites.

It makes me wonder if "the powers that be" where using a non-official Tapatalk interface when making said decision.

At this point in time I just wish we got something for mobile applications soon.
Even if it does not please everyone.
It has been promised for a very long time.

Blue Man Group
enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe we should stop fighting and just "go with the flow". I'll be in Portland on Saturday Gizmo. Wanna hold our very first "Go With The Flow" user Threads conference??

Oh, yes. I'll need some time to step away and attend a funeral at 1:30 in Beaverton.
But that probably won't be much different than the mood at our conference!!!!!!

grin grin grin facepalm grin grin grin
ha ha... I kill me.

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Bill B
Oh, yes. I'll need some time to step away and attend a funeral at 1:30 in Beaverton.
But that probably won't be much different than the mood at our conference!!!!!!

grin grin grin facepalm grin grin grin
ha ha... I kill me.
:snicker:

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Bill B
ha ha... I kill me.

Hat tip to your A.L.F. reference laugh

[Linked Image from blog.gilly.ws]

Reading all of these posts on changelogs and planned features, and indefinite delays to 7.6 and the now-mythical 8.0 is saddening.
I've been a Threads user for a LONG time and, by far, it is my preference to stick with, but had I known that it is effectively a dead product at this point, there is no way I would have just paid for a renewal so that I could update.

I would say that I feel swindled, but 'caveat emptor', I guess.

Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
old hand
old hand
A lot of us hung on on the words that the upgrade was so many months or weeks away, a few times.. now we are past the point of their even being convertors to go to another software package.

Hope you read this before it gets deleted.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Stan I hate to say it but you are right. Wish we would get a update... My users and the presedent of the club are asking about different options and I can't give them any that would not mean starting fresh or paying for help moving to other software.

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
old hand
old hand
They should come out and be forthright the development of this software has stopped, and they have failed the users.

They should come out and be forthright the development of this software has stopped, and they have failed the users.
Well then why keep posting here.
If you feel that way.
Then Move on with Life.
Myself I still have hope.

Blue Man Group
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
I'm putting together ( with Brooks ) a list of things that will be on the next release. It includes any known bugs as well as new features that will be mentioned in new thread.

No timeframe, but we will be making this happen.

The key thing I'm wrestling with is whether or not to break with the current structure to a new structure, where we pave the way for more modern UI as well as DB. this would entail writing an importer vs an upgrader, which is a step that has been required for some time.

Just when to take that leap is still a decision tree item.

2c

Cool.
I don't like the no time-frame comment though.
We have been told this many times.
Version 8
version 7.6
Etc,Etc.

I am not trying to bust your chops SD.
I know it is a item that is somewhat out of your control.
Just my observation on what has transpired over the last few years.

A importer was long overdue to fix some issues such as changing the dbase to utf8.
As well as other items mentioned in the past.

Blue Man Group
old hand
old hand
If you feel that way.
Then Move on with Life.

Hung on so long we are passed the point of being able to go elsewhere. No importers.. Even Rik said he could not import to VB.

old hand
old hand
This software, was still the best to have.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I would never recommend VB. Many have moved to IPB

I see that FusionBB recently called it a day.

Hopefully UBB will have life still.....

old hand
old hand
I concur about VB UBB has a much stronger easier management section and control panel.

old hand
old hand
Will a mobile responsive design be in the next release?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
If you feel that way.
Then Move on with Life.

Because we paid for a service and have been let down by empty promises. When someone does you wrong you want to let them know. Rose colored glasses wont make it any better.

-Tim
old hand
old hand
Please give us at least a progress report or some hope, thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
With the intent to lookout for all of your current paid license-holders (customers), is there a timeline for a release-to-public of the above-mentioned solutions which you've adopted in to UBB Central?

Since the most recent UBBT release on 11/30/2013, there has been a possible login cookie problem for all users of Internet Explorer 7 (and prior versions). On a url with an underscore, IE silently drops all cookies for that host and refuses to accept new ones. The server sends Set-Cookie response correctly, yet the cookie never shows up in IE.

I'd rather license a forum software with a company who properly maintained release timelines and enforced integrity assessments and mitigation instead of a forum software which shoots the messenger and dismisses all risks/bugs for every license holder.

On 05/10/2014, following my thorough report and suggested solution, you've fixed the problem here on your user-to-user support forums, UBBCentral.com, but you haven't made the fix available to your currently licensed subscribers.

Please don't be just another company who cares more about being "right" while ignoring the problem, rather than protecting/supporting your license holders (customers) from known flaws in your software.

---
Originally posted on 30 May 2014 @
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/255604#Post255604

old hand
old hand
He said it was going to be soon. No need to remind him every couple of years, it will come out.. sooooon.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The only valid reason to not release timely updates would be if there where no bugs with a solid and complete feature set; neither of which we have.

For those of us with the coding knowledge to fix our own problems and institute our own features this is just a smaller issue, but for others it is truly a big deal.

Please don't be one of those vendors that feel that just because the vocal few are upset that there is no problem as the voice of a few should be treated as the annoyance of many.

When I worked the call center racket we quickly learned that one distressed user represented a hundred/thousand users who just didn't want to complain (either that didn't know how, or felt, like many of us, that they where just talking to a brick wall).

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
No need to remind him every couple of years,

I hope the Like buttom comes soooooooooooon! smile

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The only valid reason to not release timely updates would be if there where no bugs with a solid and complete feature set; neither of which we have.

For those of us with the coding knowledge to fix our own problems and institute our own features this is just a smaller issue, but for others it is truly a big deal.

Please don't be one of those vendors that feel that just because the vocal few are upset that there is no problem as the voice of a few should be treated as the annoyance of many.

When I worked the call center racket we quickly learned that one distressed user represented a hundred/thousand users who just didn't want to complain (either that didn't know how, or felt, like many of us, that they where just talking to a brick wall).

And getting stone-walled about any progress.

-Tim
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If it's any consolation to anyone, Myself and several others are still updating the UBB.Wiki and UBB.Dev and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. This includes documentation, modifications, and new features; but you're either going to have to get comfortable with installing modifications or hire a developer to install them for you if you choose to go this route (remember, we don't work for UBB Systems, we're volunteers; we don't get compensated, we're simply trying to expand the feature set; Buy us a Beer, say thank you, something to keep us encouraged).

I don't know why I did not think of this before but since we are going forward with SFS
Why not add it to the advanced search in member management.
Say for the bad email and or bad ip.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
With SFS turned on within UBB.threads 7.6.0; SFS is done once at every new user creation, and once at every login -- every time.

If any spammer already has an account (from before SFS was turned on), they wont be able to log in with an ip/email address if its on the current SFS list.

--

unless your idea was just an attempt to search for legacy members who created accounts a long time ago, by validating those "registration IP addresses" to a current SFS IP address database. then deleting those accounts. Your legacy members might not even be tied to those old IP addresses any more, but you would punish them (deleting their accounts) for an address match to an IP/email they no longer have.

EDIT: are we talking about the same thing? crazy

Okay so what version has or will have the login detector giz added to sfs.
I thought it was still a hack at this point.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Okay so what version has or will have the login detector giz added to sfs.
I thought it was still a hack at this point.

Do you have access to http://www.UBBDEV.com ?

Direct link to the SFS updates for UBB.threads 7.6.0:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbth...ds-7-6-0-progress-report-07-12-2015.html

Scripts
• ADDUSER, LOGIN -Major Stop Forum Spam updates. More thanks to James Corthell (Gizmo)!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 831 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29