2jimbo, i did update the bbs from 6.01 to 6.5 and the problem occured on this fresh bbs. because i've been waiting a couple of days for an answer i started to hack the bbs/modify some things because of getting rid for waiting for support :-/

2charles, ops, best wishes for you. back to the topic: we do NOT have a win-server, we're using freebsd 4.7, so it's as far as i now a unix-machine. .. even the 'i forgot my password'-email does NOT work. the only email which is gonna be sent out is the notification of new users for me. no notification is sent out concerning privatemessages, no not. is been sent out by a new reply inside the bbs, even the password-forgotten-feature does NOT seem to work, BUT: when registrering new to the bbs the password IS sent. pretty strange, isn't it, hu? maybe you'd like to have a quick view at the server?
i guess YOU know where all important email-routines can be found within the scripts and maybe you'll find a little bug which does cause the problem? thanks, in advance,

chris