Originally Posted by Gizmo
once th eimport is done then take and login, setup the redirect scripts that come with the .c importer and you're set to customize...

Actually, she should run thru the import once before closing down the old boards (make sure there are no tech issues); then set up her styles as she wants them and save/export them (so not to shock her members); then have her members check out the "new" site as a beta, taking in suggestions (so they feel 'a part of it' at least); THEN after all that: close the old forum, wipe the database and re-import everything... then import the styles, and test it (by yourself first).

Then in the old forums (while it's still closed), go and change all the forums to read-only, add a prominent header saying you've moved w/ the new link (see my 'old' link in my sig) -- and then you can reopen the Classic forum -- and then make the new Threads forums live.

Wait a while to redirect the old links; it's not necessary for now (IMHO) if you set a "We Moved!" link on the old forum, and told your members of the new forums/address well in advance (like you should).

The old links will work for months/years, there's no rush.

Before activating the redirects (which I haven't even done yet, and I switched 2 months ago!), I'd wait 'til the new site was indexed by Google & Yahoo first. Mine was after a week or so. In a few weeks probably I'll install the redirects... or whenever my long-time members feel they can let go of the original... wink

At the very least, I'd wait a until the search engines found the new URLs before redirecting...

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP