Originally Posted by Digitalgas
OK, I guess that is my answer that there is no interest in enabling ImageMagick in File Manager any time soon for UBB customers.

You write "enable" as if it was a feature already written and just not turned on yet. The fact is, that feature is not even currently a part of UBB.threads. Nothing to enable. It actually needs to be written first.

Strange thing is that Gallery2 is free and yet is more advanced than UBB in image optimized uploads.

Gallery2 is a photo gallery software.
UBB.threads is a message forum software.

There have been some very nice updates put in to UBB.threads 7.6.0 to support inlined images. But UBB.threads is still primarily a message forum and that has been its forte since 1996.

We host hundreds of thousands of user uploaded images. Our site averages around 5 million pageviews per month. Optimization is key. And mobile users should expect us to be good stewards with their data limitations by optimizing as best we can. Sorry to hear you're not interested in helping to conserve resources and bandwidth.

What many other sites as huge as yours (and that I also do) is run a CRON task on the server every night that looks at all the files in the attachment directory that are less than 24hrs old and runs them through a resizer to;

1. Reduce to 1024px MAX width/height. Skip smaller images.
2. JPG/JPEG compression quality to 90%
3. Remove all EXIF metadata that is not related to time/date/camera specs.
4. Keep file creation date.
5. Overwrite original.

Been doing this since 2009. It dropped my 2001 attachments directory of 40GB to just under 8GB, and has been keeping it nice and clean since then. And my users dont need to worry about keeping things small, as long as they are under 5MB per photo. My Nexus6 shoots 13mp photos and the average size of those are 4.2MB each. When cleaned up in the CRON task, they come down to ~ 150kb each. They obviously are not great for making in to a movie billboard, but the goal is to make the job easy on my users, and my web host.

Last edited by id242; 06/15/2015 1:04 AM.