Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#260404 08/16/2017 11:07 AM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I just upgraded from 7.5.8 to 7.6.0 last weekend. Since then, the New Topics and New Posts areas are not updating nor are the associated content islands. I rebuilt the posts, topics and forums. I cleared the cache.

Am I missing a step?

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
Check the file permissions via the control panel.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
All my directories and files are set to the permissions listed below taken from the install guide.

admin/ directory: set permissions to 777
files within the admin/ directory: set permissions to 666
cache/ directory: set permissions to 777
cache_builders/ directory: set permissions to 777
cache_builders/custom/ directory: set permissions to 777 (Required to edit Custom Islands)
files within the cache_builders/custom/ directory: set permissions to 666 (Required to edit Custom Islands)
gallery/ directory: set permissions to 777 (Required to use the Gallery feature)
directories within the gallery/default directory: set permissions to 777 (Required to use the Gallery feature)
includes/ directory: set permissions to 777
files within the includes/ directory: set permissions to 666
languages/ directory: set permissions to 777
languages/english/ directory: set permissions to 777
files within the languages/english/ directory: set permissions to 666
languages/english/admin/ directory: set permissions to 777
files within the languages/english/admin/ directory: set permissions to 666
sessions/ directory: set permissions to 777
styles/ directory: set permissions to 777 (Required to use the Style Editor)
files within the styles/ directory: set permissions to 666 (Required to use the Style Editor)
templates/compile/ directory: set permissions to 777
templates/default/ directory: set permissions to 777 (Required to use the Template Editor)
files within the templates/default/ directory: set permissions to 666 (Required to use the Template Editor)
tmp/ directory: set permissions to 777
uploads/ directory: set permissions to 777

The control panel permission check results in ...

[Linked Image from dennyp.com]

These directories are set to 777 but failed: cache, gallery sub directories, sessions, styles, templates/default, tmp.

The rest are set to 755 but are not listed in the permission list above from the install guide.

During install, all permissions passed the internal testing.

Suggestions? Thanks.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You mentioned that you upgraded to 7.6.0, but your screenshot is using the old 7.5.x style. Did you intentionally roll back certain files to their 7.5.x versions? If not, you may want to check that you did a complete install/upgrade, and that your files are all 7.6.0 versions.

Check the file dates in the package, with those of your production forums, and confirm that you didnt miss any.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
At the bottom of the control panel page with the permission check image above is: Powered by UBB.threadsâ„¢ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0 (Release build 20170223).

I didn't roll back any files that I am aware of. I just copied all the files/directories listed in the upgrade docs to my server installation directory. All of the installation directories show the date I did the upgrade except for cache and session which are current.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
From your screenshot, it looks like you at least missed "styles/admin.css". Could you have missed others as well?

This could very well be related to your file permission errors, which, as MarkS mentioned, is also related to why your cache is not getting updated.

As a brief refresher, upgrader documents were updated in February '17 with the release of 7.6.0, and can be found here:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_upgrade7.php

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
DennyP, I visited your site about two weeks ago, just before you did your big upgrade, and it looked like a lot of time and care was put in to it. Im going to link the 7.6.0 release discussion thread here for you, as you might find something in there that could be helpful for your custom styles (coffee)
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/259082/7-6-0-changelog-discussion

Your "coffee" style is a 7.5.x style and with a little work, can be updated to work well with 7.6.x. But you may want to take a look at the included Stock 7.6 "Mocha" style, as its very similar in color, and has all the css within it, for being mobile friendly.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
All the permissions within the styles directory are set to 666.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I have been looking at mocha and others. I just haven't had a chance to check the docs to find the instructions for installing them. It's been too long since I installed the styles I am using.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As a rule of thumb, I chmod EVERY folder 777 and EVERY file 666; it's easier than going folder to folder looking for a stray (note that some web servers will NOT allow a script (ubbthreads.php) to execute (run) if it is in a folder that is chmodded 777 or if that file has write permissions; this is semi-rare and your web server logs will indicate if this is an issue).

Also, I upload EVERY file EXCEPT for the includes/ and cache_builders/custom folders and the /styles/wrappers.php file (yes, you should overwrite every other file/folder, common.css and admin.css included as elements do change with every version).

Ensure that if you're using a CDN that you've DISABLED it (usually a "development mode" or by turning it off) during an install/upgrade/import and that you purge all cached files after upgrading.

You should also clear your browser cache after an upgrade to refresh the CSS files in your browser (CTRL F5) as the control panel style you're currently using isn't the v7.6.0 control panel style..

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I only chmod the permissions listed in the install guide. I uploaded only the flies/directories listed in the upgrade guide. When I first started to upgrade, I did upload all the files except for the 3 you listed. But the install script wouldn't run. So I replaced my server ubbthreads directory with one I saved right before I started. Then I copied only the files listed in the upgrade guide and the upgrade script worked.

I am not sure what a CDN is.

I will clear my browser cache and see if I get a different control panel style to display.

I will change the permissions to 777 and 666 when I get some time. But if that is what is needed, why doesn't the install guide reflect that?

Thank you.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Clearing my browser cache did change the control panel display.

I also have installed some of the new styles.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by DennyP
I will change the permissions to 777 and 666 when I get some time. But if that is what is needed, why doesn't the install guide reflect that?

Step 5 of the upgrade guide @ https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_upgrade7.php

"Verify that permissions on any newly uploaded files are correct for your server platform. Please review the full installation instructions for a reminder on necessary permissions."

"full install instructions" has a clickable link to: https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_install.php

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I did use the instructions at the links above. But there were directories and files not listed that I didn't change. Like images/news, images/icons.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I drilled down into the cache folder in the permissions check panel.

It looks like the directory is ok (set to 777), but the other files failed.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You said that you restored a backup and upgraded that, what files from the install archive did you NOT upload?

Files in cache/ (NOT cache_builders/) can be purged manually (other than the index file).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I copied everything from my archive back to the server. I didn't do a directory by directory copy. I just copied the high level directory (ubbthreads).

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As I said above, you restored your UBB.threads folder and re-uploaded files; you mentioned:
Originally Posted by DennyP
I uploaded only the flies/directories listed in the upgrade guide.

Again, what files did you NOT upload, as all files in the archive are required (even the language files, which where updated quite a bit from v7.5), with the exception of /includes, /cache_builders/custom, and the /styles/wrappers.php file.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I noticed that all of the files in cache (other than index) were dated the day I did the upgrade. I deleted them. I noticed that the index file permission was 644. I changed it to 666. That file was not listed as one to check in the install guide.

The new post/topic areas are now correct.

I have to get some other work done and get to a meeting. But I will go through and do the other files to 666 and directories to 777 later.

Thank you all for the help.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I did not upload those 3 files as instructed in the upgrade docs. I uploaded those listed in the upgrade docs.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The FTP Client Filezilla has a recursive option, where you can right click a selection of files/folders and tell it to chmod all folders 777, then reselect and chmod all files 666; then you don't need to do anything manually.

I'm not asking anything having to do with docs, again, every file is required, v7.6 was a MAJOR UPGRADE. Without telling me anything about the install or upgrade documentation, what files did you actually not upload (other than the three I keep stating), it's extremely important.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Upload these:

admin/
cache_builders/ (not the cache_builders/custom/ subdirectory)
images/
install/
languages/
libs/
scripts/
styles/admin.css
styles/common.css
styles/images/
templates/default/
ubb_js/
credits.html
index.php
ubbthreads.php

Do not upload these:

cache_builders/custom/
includes/
styles/wrappers.php

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Looks good then, with how you where wording things I wasn't sure if the entire install archive was being uploaded (some people leave out the entire languages/ folder and several others because they customize them, then comment that things don't work because cache files or language files don't exist)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It looks like you got things worked out, and its looking good again thumbsup

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Everything is indeed looking good. Even the new styles. I think I figured out the problem that started this. I'll share it in case it helps someone else.

As I mentioned earlier, before I started the upgrade process, I made a copy of the working Ubbthreads directory from my server. I copied the directory from the server to my Window computer. That is the directory I used to restore after I copied all the new files from the upgrade bundle to the server. At that point, I think some of the permissions were not the same as when I copied the directory from my server to Windows. - specifically the index.html file in the cache directory. That caused the cache files to not be rebuilt.

I also made a note to myself that even though the install guide says to copy all the downloaded files to the install directory to not do that. Only copy the files listed.

Thanks again for all the help.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The files in your cache directory didn't have writable permissions to the web server user, which was not allowing UBB.threads to generate new cache entries; the index file is simply a directory placeholder so that people cannot just browse to the directory and have an index of existing files.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Thanks. Same general reason.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Glad to hear that everything is up and running now smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 361 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29