Boy oh boy.... this thread has retouched a nerve with me. A while ago, when I thought that there was going to be a major upgrade arriving, I was going to VOLUNTEER to review/rewrite the upgrade instructions.

I have gone though these like a lot of you for the past 10+ years... but there always seems to be a bit of uncertainty in the procedure. My OPINION is that the wording of the instruction could be CLEARER - hence my thought about volunteering to "edit" them before the next BIG ONE.

EXAMPLES:

1. "Upload all files and directories from the unzipped UBBâ„¢ directory to the UBBâ„¢ installation directory"

Q: Does this mean a new install sub-directory? Such as forum/install/ Or do you overwrite your existing files in their current directory?

2. "When upgrading to 7.5.7 you may need to upload the styles/admin.css and styles/common.css files individually."

Q: You "may" need to upload?? WTH? What the Heck? When? Is this the same for a new install as well as an upgrade?

3. "you will find install/upgrade.php at:
http://www.example.com/ubbthreads/install/upgrade.php"

Q: You've already touched on this one -- Needs clarity for the difference between an INSTALL and an UPGRADE.

4. "If you uploaded a new copy of the "languages" directory in an earlier step, click the "I have updated my language files by hand" button. Otherwise, click the "Update my language files" button."

Q: One of my favorite incongruencies. Should I have uploaded the new copy of the languages? The instructions are not clear. And if not, then does it MERGE this new version withe the current "modified" one on my forum? The wording is really confusing -- If I DID upload a new copy, then I should select "I have Updated by hand"??... Huh?

Sorry, guys.. I totally AGREE that the process is VERY SIMPLE and works like a Champ. But that's ONLY if you don't make a SIMPLE MISTAKE due to the confusing instructions.

Come one, you've got to the agree that INSTALL and UPGRADE shouldn't be mentioned (commingled?) on the same page!!!

The instructions should allow a NOVICE to upgrade their own forum. It's not the code that is causing the problems -- it's the english.

--BIll B