Originally Posted by JPG
I think the Attachment Manager may end up being confusing to the end user. Most people want to upload a photo and they are looking for a button to do it. If you upload a photo that is too large with the Attachment Manager, the pop-up window gives you the option to return to the previous page (many users do not even understand the file size of their photos and doubly so with mobile devices). When you return, it is still trying to upload the photo.

If a user uploads a photo and ends up with something like ... 19572702800_b27b91bb9d_o (1).jpg (2 downloads) ... they will think there is a problem with our software.

I think most people would like to upload an image and see it dropped right in to the post. We have a good image uploader on our 7.5.8 forums (added by SD). The only problem is that it does not offer the option to rotate the image.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled you guys are updating UBB.

If a user cannot understand clicking the "Select File To Attach" button, or drag-and-dropping it within the window for attaching files, then what makes you sure they can understand how what "upload" even means?

If a user uploads a photo and they dont understand that the preview of the image they just uploaded, right next to the file name of of that image, is the file they just sent, then they probably also dont understand basic internet skills.

If after a file is attached to a post and it is not displaying a thumbnail in the "Attached Files" group under their post, then you probably have your forum configured to not show images larger than XX in size, or not display thumbnails at all. This is a forum setting, not a user setting. If you intend for the image thumbnail to be displayed, and it is not, you have your forum misconfigured.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/259408/re-direct-image-upload#Post259408

Be warned about SD's attached-files hack ("picupload") -
1) it doesnt natively handle files that are not images.
2) it disables the built-in file attachment settings. so basically, it doesnt respect the site settings for attachments.
You can only upload files with .jpg or .png extensions (not including ".jpeg"), "Even though 'ATTACHMENT_TYPES' => '.gif,.jpg,.jpeg,.png,.css,.txt,.pdf,.gz,.rar,.tar,.tgz,.zip',"
3) the interface buttons are too tiny to tap on for mobile
4) if you click on (or tap, on mobile) outside of the window, you've lost everything you uploaded, EXCEPT, it still sits on the forum's servers. (or these files may just sit in a temp directory until XX criteria is met.)
5) there is no count to show how many things you've attached once you leave the window.
6) its another database table. one where the files and date dont get pruned when you delete posts or topics with attachments.
7) no official upgrade path from version to version of UBB.threads
8) if the file names have spaces, they are stored on the server also with those spaces.
9) upload a file on a linux server that begins with a dot, and the file will be hidden.
10) if I upload a file, then preview it in my post and find out that I no longer want it, I cannot go back and delete it from the server. I can remove it from showing in my post, but it will still stay on the server, IIRC.
11) to expand on #10, if I submit the post. then read it and want to make changes with EDITPOST, I have no access to that file. its still on the server somewhere. I can remove the url link from my post content, but this does not control the actual file, and I cannot remove the old one. so, if I have topic where I constantly update the post to have attachments of a new version of my screenshot/document/software file, I cannot remove the old version screenshots/versions form the server. but can upload additional screenshots/versions.

Attached image is a simulation of what SD's attached-files hack ("picupload") looks like on the iPhone (320x480) with a viewport of 1:1. Its not at all mobile-friendly. It requires a lot of scrolling around and is very easy to click outside of the box, and then the user needs to start all over again.
Attachments
20150824_00-12-55.PNG

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com