Basically, when MySQL 4.1 was introduced it changed how passwords were stored by storing them with longer hashes (all passwords are encoded in a hash, the old hashes were 16 bytes; they were updated for security). Some hosts basically "put off" updating old passwords and added new users with new style passwords (which can be done in the server config with "old_passwords=1")

From what I've read it looks like the error can be fixed by the root user setting a new style password on the account, something like:
Code
ALTER USER 'username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'password';

I'm not sure why it would have worked in PHP5 and doesn't in PHP7, but it seems like an easy enough thing to have checked (worse case it looks like the password will be updated with current style password hashing).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!