Checking other users, it's not consistent across all of them. I'll have to do some more research.

I don't use phpmyadmin. I use the database interface built in to the app to make modifications. Here are the types of things I've done.
Modify a username when the user added a space after the name and didn't realize it.
Used update to set perms globally (e.g. set all FORUM_PERMISSIONS>EDIT_POSTS to 1 rather than 0 when they were randomly scattered between the two) for certain groups (including users)
Plenty of searches for things in the db

I never ended up writing a pruning script. Too complicated.
I did remove the orphaned Topic.
I don't recall for certain now, but I'm pretty sure I never merged the two databases.

I fail to see how what I have done would affect different users differently. There's something else going on.

Question. I created the Members group and set the group to require 4 posts to be approved before you become a member. The Users group is moderated on every post. During that time they have a time limit on editing posts. They get added to the Members group where they have full permissions after they've posted four times and been approved. Which permissions does a person get if they are a member of both groups?

The Stovebolt Geek
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Server Information
UBB.threads Version 7.7.5
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB