Originally Posted by Island Piper
I don't really understand what the purpose/desire is to having blogging capability in a forum software.
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I see no usage of blogging yet for our site.
Originally Posted by usrbingeek
I'm very skeptical about the need for blogs in UBB.
Originally Posted by dmol
I don't see why you want to implement blogs in UBB unless they're an import of Wordpress or Blogger blogs which are the market leaders.

Well I may see your point in some ways but not all ways here with your comment about blogs. This is all fine and dandy and if you do not wish to use blogs that is your choice.

A while back I was totally satisfied with UBB.Classic and have watched Gizmo post down in the Classic area boasting to get Threads. I fired a few comments at him as I Love threads. I had been looking for blogs in my Beagle community for some time back then as well. I had seen the conversations by Rick telling that blogs were coming very soon. I was so happy I bought yet a third UBB license. Yippie.

Why do I need blogs with my UBB? Well now that is a great question in it self. My communities are designed to discuss them selves and their Beagles. I have a new community about racing, same thing but Cars not beagles.

My community is designed that each person has a story and would like to show off their beagle. What would be a great way to have a short little space to do this incorporated with their registration? Why a BLOG.

I understand most of YOUR communities are not oriented like my communities however perhaps you my wish to understand how OTHER communities are structured and run before making statements like, "I don't really understand what the purpose/desire is to having blogging capability in a forum software.", "I'm very skeptical about the need for blogs in UBB.", or "I don't see why you want to implement blogs in UBB unless they're an import of Wordpress or Blogger blogs which are the market leaders."

Well. I'm not a market leader so perhaps I shouldn't have a community online right?

Anyway here is my statement from the other side of the fence, "If you actually had a totally family oriented interactive site I can't see why you would be running without blogs in your community."

Yes that was quite harsh and it was meant to be in a way however you really shouldn't speak for others as I shouldn't speak for your community.

Originally Posted by Rick
#165866 - Thu Oct 12 2006 11:01 AM

I can't recommend anything personally because I've never used any, but..... This is something on the slate for the next version or two. Not giving out any top secret plans but, basically we want to add in some type of builit in payment processing and then then we'd like to add this in as a user feature. One of those things where if an admin wanted to they could charge for it and enable it on a per user basis and the blog would be available in the user's profile.

Blogs have been a long time coming. It wouldn't be very nice to keep delaying them to those users who have wanted them for a long time. To go to a third party blog software and then hack it to use the current UBB member database and such would be a real pain in the rear and totally unnecessary as blogs were discussed as far back as 2006, it is almost 2009.

Originally Posted by Rick
#166094 - Sat Oct 14 2006 10:54 AM

lol. Basically I say the next version or two on some of these is because I don't know what's going to make it into the next version or two exactly. The big ticket things at this point would be: some sort of captcha, photo gallery forums, user blogs and payment processing (paypal at the minimum). Sprinkle those in with all the smaller things that need to be done, and you get my point. I don't want to be a year in between releases, rather would like to have at least a couple feature releases per year. So it's pick and choose which ones get in.

Well, thats my rant for today, LOL.