Well I'll be honest and say that I don't visit these places like Facebook, MySpace very often. Yeah there are links upon links to follow and view things but as for following and searching a discussion it is not an easy thing to do on those sites. If people are lost using UBB for an actual discussion then how do they use these other sites? Sure they have cool looking pages and maybe I'm just old fashioned but there just doesn't seem to be much real structure to these sites and maybe one day the BBS as it is will die off but there are sites like IGN that have millions of users and for the most part they're still using BBS software much like UBB only really UGLY and not as easy to use.
Here is an example BLOG IGN Blog which I'm not knocking as it has it's own crowd and what they're looking for but actual trackable discussion doesn't seem to be one of them.
Not sure if non members can get here, but here is an example of their board software which just plain sucks compared to UBB boards.ign.com

So maybe it was not the best thing for Rick to openly ask opinions on this subject wink

Whichever path you take Rick I'm okay with.