Originally Posted by AllenAyres
For many the OpenID suggestion is very limited in use - even if it were fully supported now there's no other software out there I am currently interested in using it with.

I think it only depends on webmaster's enthusiasm and ambition. If he wants to boost his site's functionality , he can find (or write by himself) many interesting OpenID apps to hook to UBBThreads.

I am a java web developer , I've developed a wicket-based chatroom that consumes OpenID . Everyone can use a valid OpenID to login to chat.

But to make it run on my site (running UBBThreads) , I have to write another adapter , to identify one's identity with his cookies , and connect to mysql to check his password. It's not a 'de facto / standard' way. That's why I think UBBT should make an OpenID interface , making UBBT as an OpenID identity provider , it will make developers (like me) easily to hook their applications to UBBThreads.

After all , not all programmers know PHP , and not all programmers know how to check one's cookie with MD5 hashing (That's why there is only a few plugins for UBBT , most are modifications), but each modern programmer can easily use his skilled language to connect to OpenID provider and do some simple metadata exchange. If there exists an OpenID interface here , it 'may' boost one site's functionality.

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.